The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%) doctoral scholarship holder in the field of nutrition, polyphenols, biotransformation of polyphenols, arterial stiffness and ageing.
- You work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in Pharmaceutical Sciences. The title of the PhD project is: Protective effects of nutritional polyphenols and their metabolites towards mechanisms contributing to arterial stiffness.This PhD research will be conducted at Research group NatuRA (Natural Products & Food Research and Analysis). The biotransformation of olive polyphenols and blueberry polyphenols will be investigated and compared in a young and aged gut microbiome biotransformation model. Identification of metabolites is an important part of this research. Certain arterial stiffness related assays will be carried out in collaboration with the Laboratory of Physiopharmacology.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for Research group NatuRA by means of mentoring master students during their master thesis.
- You hold a Master degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You have strong communication skills, show team spirit, flexibility and self-motivation.
- You are fluent in academic English (speaking and writing).
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 01/10/2020, 01/11/2020 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken, in NatuRA Research group, in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform until 10 August 2020. Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter and your CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Nina Hermans, 03/265 27 32, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth wherever possible. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity or disability. We encourage everyone to apply, especially members of under-represented groups.