The University of Luxembourg is a multilingual, international research University.
The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT) invites applications from highly motivated PhD candidates in the general area of dynamic spectrum management in wireless networks within its SIGCOM research group. SnT carries out interdisciplinary research in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services, often in collaboration with industrial, governmental or international partners. For further information, you may refer to www.securityandtrust.lu
Doctoral candidate (PhD student) in Hybrid satellite-terrestrial connectivity solutionsfor emerging IoT/MTC systems
- Ref: RCREQ0003930
- 36 months fixed-term contract with a further possible 1-year extension if required
- Full time basis (40 hrs/week)
- Employee and student status
- Number of positions: 1
The SIGCOM research group, headed by Prof. Björn Ottersten and Prof. Symeon Chatzinotas, carries out research activities in the areas of signal processing for wireless communication systems including satellite communications and radar systems, and is rapidly expanding its research areas to various enabling technologies for beyond 5G/6G wireless networks including the next generation of satellite communication systems. For details, you may refer to the following: https://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/sigcom
This is a fully funded position for 3 years (extendable to an additional 4thyear) within a large, national research project (INSTRUCT – INtegrated Satellite-TeRrestrial Systems for Ubiquitous Beyond 5G CommunicaTions). The project is run in close cooperation with our industrial partner SES (https://www.ses.com/). Therefore, the objectives of the PhD project are defined in accordance to the project directions, and also aligned with the research interest of SES towards their next-generation of satellite systems. More precisely, the PhD project aims at investigating hybrid satellite-terrestrial techniques/architectures to provide resource-efficient and reliable connectivity to the massive number of resource-constrained and heterogeneous Internet of Things (IoT)/Machine Type Communications MTC) devices.
The successful candidate will work with an academic supervisor from the University of Luxembourg and with an industrial supervisor from SES, and join a strong and motivated research team lead by Prof. Björn Ottersten and Prof. Symeon Chatzinotas. The candidate is also expected to spend 25% of his/her time at the SES headquarters in Betzdorf, Luxembourg.
The position holder will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Contribute to the national project “INtegrated Satellite-TeRrestrial Systems for Ubiquitous Beyond 5G CommunicaTions – INSTRUCT”
- Project website: https://instruct-ipbg.uni.lu
- Carry out research in the predefined areas
- Disseminate results through scientific publications
- Present results in well-known international conferences and workshops
Qualification: The candidate should possess an M.Sc./M.Eng. Degree in Telecommunication Engineering, signal processing, satellite communications or a closely related field in Electronic, Electrical and Computer Engineering.
The candidate should have some knowledge and experience in some of the following topics:
- Wireless Internet of Things (IoT)
- Satellite communications
- 5G Machine Type Communications (MTC)
- 5G Ultra-reliable and low-latency communications (URLLC)
- Interference mitigation and resource allocation
and be familiar with the principles of
- Linear Algebra
- Optimization theory
- Statistical Signal Processing
- Machine learning/deep learning
Programming skills: MATLAB, Python or C++.
Language Skills: Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are required.
The University offers a Ph.D. study program with a Fixed Term Contract up to 3 years, with a further possible 1-year extension if required, full-time (40 hrs/week). The University offers highly competitive salaries and is an equal opportunity employer.
Application should include:
- Full CV, including:
- For each degree received or currently enrolled in, provide the degree, institution name, institution city and country, and date (or expected date) of graduation Include the title and short summary of your final (Bachelor / Master) Thesis if you did one
- List of publications (if any)
- Name, affiliation and contact details of three referees
- Transcript of all modules and results from university-level courses taken
- Cover letter with motivations and topics of particular interest to the candidate (approx. 1 page)
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
For further information, please contact: Dr. Shree K. Sharma (email@example.com).
Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered. Early submission is encouraged; applications will be processed upon arrival.