The University of Luxembourg aspires to be one of Europe’s most highly regarded universities with a distinctly international and interdisciplinary character. It fosters the cross-fertilisation of research and teaching, is relevant to its country, is known worldwide for its research and teaching in targeted areas, and is establishing itself as an innovative model for contemporary European Higher Education. It`s core asset is its well-connected world-class academic staff which will attract the most motivated, talented and creative students and young researchers who will learn to enjoy taking up challenges and develop into visionary thinkers able to shape society.
The Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine (FSTM) contributes multidisciplinary expertise in the fields of Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Life Sciences and Medicine. Through its dual mission of teaching and research, the FSTM seeks to generate and disseminate knowledge and train new generations of responsible citizens, in order to better understand, explain and advance society and environment we live in.
The Individual and Collective Reasoning Group ICR (Department of Computer Science, University of Luxembourg), led by Prof. Leon van der Torre, is looking for a Doctoral researcher.
In the context of the Doctoral Training Unit on DigitaLisation, Law And Innovation (DTU DILLAN), <https://wwwen.uni.lu/research/fdef/dl/dillan> we are looking for someone with a special interest or background in one or several of the following areas:
– Knowledge representation and reasoning with applications to law
– Applied formal argumentation.
– Explainable AI for trustworthy systems.
– Integration of non-symbolic and symbolic techniques.
– Experimental studies on the explanation of legal reasoning.
• Writing a doctoral dissertation in the relevant area
• Presentation of research findings at workshops and conferences
• Publication of scientific papers in peer-reviewed international journals
• Moderate participation in teaching activities
For further inquiries please contact Prof. Leon van der Torre: firstname.lastname@example.org
• A Master degree in Computer Science or a related discipline
• Dedication to actively participate in the interdisciplinary activities of ICR
• Solid background in knowledge representation and reasoning, and some focus areas
• Strong analytical capacity, creativity, and commitment
• Good written and spoken English skills
• A dynamic, well-connected international research environment
• Financial support for participating in scientific activities (workshops, conferences, summer schools, etc.)
• An attractive salary and employment contract including social insurance
• Enrolment in the Doctoral School in Science and Engineering (DSSE) with a wide offer of disciplinary and interdisciplinary courses
- Contract Type: 36 months fixed-term contract (extendable to 48 months if required)
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Foreseen starting date: January 2021 (flexible)
- Location: Belval
- Employee ans student status
- Job Reference: UOL03643
Applications should be submitted online and include:
• Letter of motivation
• A one-page sketch of research interests and intentions in line with ICR
• Full CV
• Transcript of academic records (including grades) and copies of diplomas
• Names of at least two references willing to write a letter of recommendation (they will be contacted by us)
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
Here’s what awaits you at the University
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. WiFi on campus. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …