The Department of Physics and Astronomy within the Faculty of Science invites applications for a Research Scientist . This Full-time Fixed Term position is for approximately 11 months (based on length of grant funding), with the possibility of extension.
The Faculty of Science has been catalyzing change and inspiring discovery, creativity, and innovation for over 50 years. Our strategic direction integrates current and emerging strengths with areas targeted for future growth and investment. Our strategic priorities, goals, and values guide our mission to advance research, scholarship, and innovation, create authentic learning experiences, and inspire careers of the future. We fuel transformational change, and build a strong community through teaching, learning, research, scholarship, and collaborative partnerships. We do this work to generate curiosity-drive discovery and contribute solutions to society’s grand challenges. For more information, visit science.ucalgary.ca.
We thrive in the dynamic context of the University of Calgary, one of Canada’s most youthful and innovative universities. We are a bold and ambitious research university, grounded in innovative learning and teaching, fully engaged in Calgary’s entrepreneurial spirit.
Reporting to the Principal Investigator, Dr. Andrew Yau.The key function of this position is to undertake advanced data analysis, interpretation, and presentation of space science satellite data, and to design and develop advanced in-house analysis software, both independently and in support of the PI. The applicant must have strong background in research involving large data sets and across physics sub-disciplines, and be able to implement analysis algorithms and methodologies that will significantly enhance the Group’s research capacity in the analysis and visualization of space physics data sets including magnetic field, charged particle, optical, GPS, and radio-frequency data, among others.
The incumbent will play a key role in various important activities undertaken by the research group, including high-level scientific leadership and visioning, and the preparation and submission of documentation and other deliverables, technical and financial, required by funding agencies and collaborators. In addition, the applicant will have an expert knowledge of the hands on work performed as part of the research and development (R&D) activities of the group. There will be some evening and weekend hours required to meet deadlines or attend to urgent tasks in support of project requirements.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Provide relevant scientific (physics and data analysis) expertise in the conduct of space science research projects under the funding support of the European Space Agency
- Contribute to the space science research capacity and productivity of the Research Group in the Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Lead a number of research projects, support additional projects led by the PI, and provide guidance to others in the Group under the direction of the PI
- Along with the PI, develop and implement the strategic vision of the research project(s) and research group
- Take responsibility for successful completion of different phases of projects
- Act as primary liaison between the research group and its national and international collaborators
- Represent the research group at national and international meetings, conferences, and seminars
- Conduct research and provide documentation for use in scholarly publications
- Participate in high level funding and research strategy sessions
- Identify and pursue national and international research and development opportunities
- Under general supervision & direction of the PI, develop and implement original (satellite-based) experiments and data analyses within the guidelines of the research
- Undertake independent data analysis research projects as resulting opportunity arises for scholarly publications in consultation with the PI
- Conduct literature review, surveys, and other research for use in scholarly publications when required
- Prepare technical and scientific documents and project-related monitor and analysis reports
- Provide mentoring and direction to others
- Generate powerpoint presentations, for presentation by Principal Investigator and research team members (including self) and to various internal and external stakeholders
- Assist with presenting as required
- Generate various reports as required by Principal Investigator and research team. May require presentation of reports to various stakeholders
- Establish and maintain effective, productive relationships with staff, peers, and immediate supervisor
- Manage own time effectively and ensure immediate reports to manager is kept informed of activities, and progress of work
- Demonstrate strong communication and collaboration skills, and exercise judgment within established guidelines
- Other related duties as assigned
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Science is required, PhD in Physical Science or related fields is required
- Minimum 7 years of research experience in basic or applied physics in a laboratory environment is required
- Previous experience in space research is an asset
- Demonstrated experience in the advanced analysis of image data
- Demonstrated experience in publication of original research as lead author in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Be open to development and acquisition of new areas of research expertise, and be willing to accept new challenges and assignments
- Demonstrated communication, organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills necessary for successful large (multi-participant and multi-institute) data analysis projects is required
- Be able to work both independently and as a member of a small, dynamic team
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communications skills required.
- Ability to think critically and creatively under pressure while exercising good judgement and discretion required.
- The ability to work independently and meet tight timelines, maintain confidentiality and deal effectively with overlapping and changing deadlines is required
Application Deadline: January 22, 2021
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Technical Job Family, Phase III.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about the Faculty of Science visit Careers in the Faculty of Science.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.