You will undertake research in the recently establish project: “Quantum control based on real-time environment analysis by spectator qubits” The project aims at demonstrating an unprecedented capability: a noise-cancelling system for quantum bits in silicon. The role will contribute to the design, fabrication and operation of a system of spin-based quantum bits in silicon where one acts as the “spectator” and the other as the “data” qubit. This role will give you the opportunity to develop and implement advanced control sequences for complex, multi-spin devices, in liaison with our theory collaborators, and contribute to the design and fabrication of silicon nanoscale devices where the spins can be operated and read out. While the project is based upon silicon spin qubits, we encourage applications from researchers with experience in quantum control of superconducting qubits, trapped ions or cold atoms. Many of the techniques developed in those fields for the control of multi-level quantum systems will be extended to complex spin systems within this project.
The Research Associate will join a team, led by Scientia Professor Andrea Morello, that has made several landmark demonstrations in the field, including the world’s first single-atom spin qubit in silicon and singlequbit gate fidelities amongst the highest for any solid-state qubit.
- Salary, $95,449 – $102,091 + superannuation
- Full time
- Fixed-term contract until May 2021
- Location: Kensington – Sydney, Australia
UNSW is currently implementing a ten-year strategy to 2025 and our ambition for the next decade is nothing less than to establish UNSW as Australia’s global university. This position is within the School of Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications.
- PhD (or soon to be awarded) in Physics or Electrical Engineering.
- Able to conduct independent research with limited supervision.
- Track record of publications and conference presentations relative to opportunity.
- Able to work in a team, collaborate across disciplines and build effective relationships.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to communicate and interact with a diverse range of stakeholders and students.
- Experience in semiconductor nanofabrication, quantum measurement and control, quantum information science.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities
Additional details about the specific responsibilities for these positions can be found in the position description via the link, Position Description – Research Associate – Spectator Qubits – ELEC.pdf or via the advert on https://www.jobs.unsw.edu.au/
Within your application you should address the selection criteria which are listed within the position description.
Please apply online. Applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed below.
T: +61 2 8263 8060
Applications close: 11:50pm, Wednesday 6th May 2020
UNSW aspires to be the exemplar Australian university and employer of choice for people from diverse backgrounds.
UNSW aims to ensure equality in recruitment, development, retention and promotion of staff, and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their gender, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or identity. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria to apply.
Advertised: 15 Apr 2020 AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 06 May 2020 AUS Eastern Standard Time