This project concerns investigations on and development of a widely tunable laser for a miniaturized scanning source optical coherence tomography (OCT) system. The laser will be realized on a single optical chip using 1300 nm semiconductor photonic integration technology. There are two main aspects to this project. The investigations into the laser will focus on a new type of integrated tunable laser with an intrinsically low sensitivity for optical feedback combined with a wide scanning range. This is essential for integration of the complete optical coherence tomography system. The application of the laser in an OCT system will be done in collaboration with a PhD student at the Biomedical Engineering and Physics department at the Academic Medical Centre in Amsterdam. The photonic integration technology to be used to fabricate the laser will be an adaptation of existing indium phosphide based technology that can work at 1550nm. This technology is to be developed in collaboration with the company Smart Photonics B.V..
You will work in the group Photonic Integration of the Electrical Engineering department of Eindhoven University of Technology (phi.ele.tue.nl). This is an internationally oriented group which is leading in researching, developing and utilizing photonic integration with III-V semiconductors to realize cutting edge devices. With our NanoLabNL facilities and our partnerships with companies like Smart Photonics, we are not only able to design these chips, but also to actually produce, characterize and analyze their performance.
We are looking for candidates who are interested in this exciting application of integrated photonics, tunable semiconductor lasers and optical coherence tomography.
Successful candidates should have good writing and documentation skills, good analytical and research capabilities and excellent communication skills. They must be able to organize their own work well and set and pursue their goals independently. The candidate will collaborate not only with the other members of the Photonic Integration group, but in particular also with other researchers in the Academic Medical Centre and a number of companies involved in the project.
We are looking for candidates with a MSc diploma in Electrical Engineering, Physics or Applied Physics, preferably with not more than four years’ experience in research after the graduation, and with good skills in programming tools and an interest in photonics and electronics.
Conditions of employment
- a challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university and a stimulating internationally renowned research environment;
- full-time temporary appointment for 3 years, which will be extended with one year if it is successful;
- gross salary between € 2222,00 and € 2.840,00 per month based on full-time employment;
- an extensive package of fringe benefits (e.g. excellent technical infrastructure, the possibility of child care and excellent sports facilities);
Information and application
- For more information about the project and any informal enquiries, please contact dr. Erwin Bente (firstname.lastname@example.org ) or prof. dr. Kevin Williams (email@example.com ).
- For information concerning employment conditions you can contact Tanja van Waterschoot (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- More information on employment conditions can be found here: http://www.tue.nl/en/university/working-at-tue/working-conditions/ .
If interested, please use ‘apply now’-button at the top of this page. You should upload the following (in English):
- a detailed curriculum vitae, a letter of motivation and portfolio with relevant work;
- a cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position;
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications and key achievements in research project(s));
- contact information of two references;
- copies of diplomas with course grades;
Candidates will be selected based on their graduation project and marks, relevant experience and skills, writing skills and publications, work experience and interviews.
Typical recruitment procedure will involve a skype meeting, followed by a face to face interview with a presentation to the group in the second stage.