1 1 1
The McKenzie Postdoctoral Fellowships Program has been established to attract outstanding recent doctoral graduates to the University from around the world. The Program aims to recruit new researchers who have the potential to build and lead interdisciplinary collaborative research activities inside and across Academic Divisions. The University offers a leading and lively research environment that is internationally engaged, public-spirited and has many outstanding areas of research strength.
The objectives of the 2021 Program are to attract talented recent doctoral graduates in areas of research priority for the University. All applicants should promote research that aligns with the Research at Melbourne initiative.
The Program is highly competitive, with up to ten McKenzie Fellowships and one Indigenous McKenzie Fellowship available each year.
Prospective applicants must discuss their interest in the Program with the relevant Academic Division at the University of Melbourne, prior to submitting their application. Application processes vary between different faculties. Applicants must adhere to Faculty Expression of Interest processes and timelines in order to be considered for award.
The University will fund the Fellowships for a three year appointment commencing at Level A.6 in the University salary band plus superannuation.
Fellows will receive an additional $25,000 to be spent on project costs over the term of their Fellowship. Awards will be for a maximum of three years commencing between 1 January 2021 and 30 June 2021.
Applicants must have been awarded a PhD from a university other than the University of Melbourne by the closing date. The PhD must have been awarded between 1 January 2018 and 16 July 2020.
At the time of application, applicants must not have held, or be holding, a fixed-term or continuing academic appointment at the University of Melbourne that is greater than one year. Where applicants have held multiple back-to-back fixed-term appointments, these should not be more than one year in total.
- Applicants may be drawn from any field in which the University has research strength, and must have an ability to contribute to research collaborations and programs across faculties or disciplines
- Applicants will be required to provide a declaration of support from the department/school in which they would be located if successful, but the criteria for selection will be university-based
- Assessment will take account of achievement relative to opportunity.
Eligibility Exemptions may be available for some applicants. For more information, please see the ‘How to Apply’ section below.
Academic contactMake sure you have an academic contact within your proposed host Faculty/School who is willing to support your application. Your proposed host Faculty/School can advise you as to how best to get in touch with an appropriate academic contact.
- Review the funding guidelinesRead the McKenzie Fellowship guidelines.
- Complete the eligibility exemption request formIf applicable, complete the eligibility exemption request form on SmartyGrants by 21 May 2020.Please note: Not all applicants are required to submit an EER. This is only applicable if you do not meet all the eligibility criteria in the Funding Guidelines. Eligible applicants may submit an application without submitting this form.
- Complete the application formComplete the application form and obtain the relevant signatures for submission.
- Submit the applicationSubmit your application via SmartyGrants by 3pm (AEST) 16 July 2020.
- Submit written testimonialsRequest your referees submit their written testimonials via email to email@example.com by 16 July 2020.
These documents have been updated as of 20 April 2020 and are valid for fellowships commencing in 2021.
- 2020 UOM McKenzie Fellowships Funding Guidelines
- Link to 2020 McKenzie Fellowships Eligibility Exemption Request Form
- Link to 2020 McKenzie Fellowships Application Form
- 2020 UOM McKenzie Fellowships FAQs
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for documents in alternate accessible formats.