SnT is a leading international research and innovation centre in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services. We play an instrumental role in Luxembourg by fueling innovation through research partnerships with industry, boosting R&D investments leading to economic growth, and attracting highly qualified talent.
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place!
This is a fully funded position for 3 years (extendable to an additional 4thyear) connected to a partnership with Proximus, a Luxembourgish company in cloud computing (under brand name Telindus) and telecom operator (under brand name Tango). Therefore, the objectives of the PhD project are defined in accordance to the project directions, and also aligned with the research interest of Proximus towards their product development.
Cloud computing has enabled elastic provisioning of computer resources and revolutionised the industry leading to basically zero cost investment needed for infrastructure of new IT-companies. Most resources provisioned this way comes from data centres with a vast array of quite similar compute offerings. With modern distributed client-facing applications, however, there is a need to move the resources closer to the clients, to the Edge. While this is possible today, it is a manual time-consuming and error prone process.
The project for this position deals with automation of this process by developing a set of complementary services. We will work on programming models, develop a technology to allow software components to be executed on heterogeneous hardware (including accelerators) without being modified. We will also develop scheduling technology that can take performance constraints into account and run the software at the compute resources that make most sense taking not only performance into account but also power consumption.
The successful candidate will be supervised by Dr. Mats Brorsson (also Professor at KTH Royal Institute of technology) from the University of Luxembourg and with an industrial supervisor from Proximus, and join a strong and motivated research team lead by Prof. Radu State. The candidate is also expected to spend 20-30% of her/his time at the Proximus premises in Luxembourg.
The position holder will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Contribute to the project “ACE5G – Accelerated Cloud Edge in 5G”
- Carry out research in the predefined areas
- Disseminate results through scientific publications
- Present results in well-known international conferences and workshops
- The candidate should possess a Master degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Electrical/Computer engineering, or equivalent.
- Knowledge and skills in one or more of the following topics:
- Distributed computer system
- Cloud computing
- Parallel programming
- Computer architecture
- Strong analytical and programming skills
- Curiosity driven, willing to constantly learn new things
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are required
Here’s what awaits you at SnT
- A stimulating learning environment. Here post-docs and professors outnumber PhD students. That translates into access and close collaborations with some of the brightest ICT researchers, giving you solid guidance
- Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite, or help make autonomous vehicles even better
- The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than 45 industry partners
- Multiple funding sources for your ideas. The University supports researchers to acquire funding from national, European and private sources
- Competitive salary package. The University offers a 12 month-salary package, over six weeks of paid time off, health insurance and subsidised living and eating
- Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking activities and more
But wait, there’s more!
- Complete picture of the perks we offer
- Discover our Partnership Programme
- Download the brochure: Why choose SnT for your PhD?
Students can take advantage of several opportunities for growth and career development, from free language classes to career resources and extracurricular activities.
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 36 Month
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Kirchberg
- Job Reference: UOL03683
Applications should be submitted online and include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg
The University of Luxembourg aspires to be one of Europe’s most highly regarded universities with a distinctly international and interdisciplinary character. It fosters the cross-fertilisation of research and teaching, is relevant to its country, is known worldwide for its research and teaching in targeted areas, and is establishing itself as an innovative model for contemporary European Higher Education. It`s core asset is its well-connected world-class academic staff which will attract the most motivated, talented and creative students and young researchers who will learn to enjoy taking up challenges and develop into visionary thinkers able to shape society.