SnT is a leading international research and innovation centre in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services. We play an instrumental role in Luxembourg by fueling innovation through research partnerships with industry, boosting R&D investments leading to economic growth, and attracting highly qualified talent.
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place!
CritiX (Critical and Extreme Security and Dependability) is a research group, and a laboratory for state-of-the-art research in a problem area that may be described as extreme computing, including the protection of critical systems and data against severe and persistent threats. We advocate resilience as a paradigm shift enabling a comprehensive approach to extreme security and dependability challenges, from first principles. For further information you may check: http://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/critix
Successful candidates will have the opportunity of shaping their PhD research around challenging and innovative research themes, as well as contributing to the ambitious research agenda of the CritiX lab. They will be given excellent conditions for the development of their research skills, in terms of working conditions, mentoring and laboratory facilities.
The research topics this opening is calling for are:
- Resilience of Cyber-Physical System Infrastructures and Control (e.g., SCADA, CPS, Automotive).
- Internet and Cloud Infrastructures Resilience (e.g., SDN, IoT).
- Security and Dependability of Embedded Components (e.g., multicores, hypervisors, SGX, ECUs).
- Radiation Tolerant System Architectures for Space (e.g., on board computers, new space).
- We welcome candidates with an MSc degree in Computer Science and/or Engineering, Informatics, or related areas in Applied Mathematics and Engineering.
- Strong course background in the theory and practice of Security and/or Fault Tolerance, of Software, Distributed Systems and Networks, and/or Real-Time and Embedded Systems will be considered as an advantage.
- We consider as an advantage, proven research experience (publications, awards and other relevant aspects included in the CV will be considered).
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are mandatory.
- We require commitment, team working and a critical mind.
Here’s what awaits you at SnT
- A stimulating learning environment. Here post-docs and professors outnumber PhD students. That translates into access and close collaborations with some of the brightest ICT researchers, giving you solid guidance
- Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite, or help make autonomous vehicles even better
- The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than 45 industry partners
- Multiple funding sources for your ideas. The University supports researchers to acquire funding from national, European and private sources
- Competitive salary package. The University offers a 12 month-salary package, over six weeks of paid time off, health insurance and subsidised living and eating
- Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking activities and more
But wait, there’s more!
- Complete picture of the perks we offer
- Discover our Partnership Programme
- Download the brochure: Why choose SnT for your PhD?
Students can take advantage of several opportunities for growth and career development, from free language classes to career resources and extracurricular activities.
- Contract Type: 36 months fixed-term contract (extendable up to 48 if required)
- Number of positions: 4
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Employee and student status
- Job Reference: UOL03707
Applications, written in English should be submitted online and must include all of:
- Curriculum Vitae, including photo, your contact address, training record, work experience, publications (test results are optional but relevant, e.g., GRE, TOEFL).
- Letter of intent (up to 500 words) including: (i) the personal motivations for applying to a PhD in the Univ. of Luxembourg SnT; (ii) the research topic(s) you select from the list above, in order of preference, together with your motivation for the selection.
- Transcript of all courses and results from the university-level courses taken. Copies allowed. Legal originals immediately required in case of selection.
Letters of reference are also extremely important in increasing the chances of success:
- TO BE SENT BY REFEREES DIRECTLY TO UL: letters of reference from three referees, sent directly to us, with contacts and position of person recommending, in plain ascii or pdf, emailed to:
email@example.com, Subject: CRITIX – PHD CANDIDATE.
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg
The University of Luxembourg aspires to be one of Europe’s most highly regarded universities with a distinctly international and interdisciplinary character. It fosters the cross-fertilisation of research and teaching, is relevant to its country, is known worldwide for its research and teaching in targeted areas, and is establishing itself as an innovative model for contemporary European Higher Education. It`s core asset is its well-connected world-class academic staff which will attract the most motivated, talented and creative students and young researchers who will learn to enjoy taking up challenges and develop into visionary thinkers able to shape society.
For further details, you may check: http://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/critix
Email informal enquiries / expressions of interest:
Prof. Dr. Marcus Völp:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org , Subject: CRITIX – PHD CANDIDATE