Are you the new academic leader of our flourishing Amsterdam University College (AUC)? Do you endorse the principles of Liberal Arts and Science education?
The UvA and VU Executive Boards wish to come into contact with candidates for the position of Dean.
- is integrally responsible for AUC, including the educational program as well as the organizational and financial management;
- sets out the strategic direction of AUC, and leads the implementation of this strategy;
- positions AUC in the academic environment of the two Amsterdam universities, the Dutch University College landscape, and relevant (inter-)national networks;
- invests in an open relationship with the AUC community, including students, academic and support staff, as well as the participatory bodies;
- is responsible for consistent and transparent communication in decision-making and change processes;
- maintains excellent relations with UvA and VU faculties to foster the active involvement of their academic staff in the AUC program;
- works on a network of external relations to raise funds for student fellowships;
- reports to the joint UvA and VU Executive Boards;
- is supported by an International Advisory Board.
A successful candidate will:
- have explicit affinity with the Liberal Arts and Sciences education and interdisciplinary approach;
- have an academic background and an academic reputation, the academic status of full professor and a strong passion for teaching;
- have an international outlook as well as a firm footing in the Dutch academic and political landscapes;
- have proven experience in managing a(n) (inter)national institution;
- be able to formulate a clear vision on the strategy of a liberal arts and science college like AUC, including its recruitment and enrolment policies;
- be an energetic team player and leader who can manage a team of peers effectively, with proven strong communication skills and fond of an open debate, approachable by professionals and students alike;
- actively work on promoting diversity and inclusiveness of the AUC community;
- be fluent in both English and Dutch;
- understand that AUC is a relatively small college which is socially demanding. The Dean will be actively committed to enhancing ‘life outside the classroom’, i.e. in the many extracurricular activities (workshops, congresses, sports events, theatre, music concerts, etc) offered at, and essential to, the AUC education.
The appointment is for a five-year period for 22.8 to 30.4 hours per week (0.6 to 0.8 FTE); reappointment is possible. On a full-time basis the salary amounts to a minimum of € 6,405 and a maximum of € 10,106 gross per month, in accordance with salary scale H1.
AUC in short
Amsterdam University College (AUC) offers a liberal arts and sciences programme leading to a joint Bachelor’s (Honours) degree issued by the University of Amsterdam (UvA) and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU). AUC is based on the North American liberal arts and sciences model, with students living and studying together on an international campus located at Amsterdam Science Park. The programme is taught entirely in English, is small-scale and selective, and admits a maximum of 300 students each year based on their academic performance and motivation.
AUC is driven and defined by the commitment to getting the best out of students. Our community aims at being inclusive of race, ethnicity, nationality, culture, language, gender and gender expression, sexuality, religious beliefs, political beliefs, age and ability, and is aware that inclusiveness is a constant process. We aim for an environment where every member of our community can safely express their opinion and knows their contribution is valued. Different approaches, ideas and values are integral to the creation of a vibrant and challenging learning environment. We encourage dialogue, constructive and cooperative conversations, and an open mind. Finally, we believe that global perspectives are the key to connectivity, and our students engage proactively with individuals, communities, and organizations around the world, starting from Amsterdam as a global city.
AUC Science Environment
Amsterdam University College is uniquely located in Amsterdam Science Park amidst top-level institutions dedicated to scientific research and innovation. All these institutes have close ties with AUC, offering opportunities to AUC students for research internships and capstone work. In addition the institutes host joint seminars with and at AUC, and high profile guests from these top-level institutions are regularly invited to provide Who’s in Town lectures at AUC.
If you have any questions regarding this position, you may contact:
Procedure and job application
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritise diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
This position is only open for internal candidates of the Vrije Universiteit van Amsterdam and the University of Amsterdam.
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter before 3 January 2021.
Procedure and advertisement will be communicated within the UvA and VU as well as to relevant external networks (such as the network of university colleges). Interviews with the selection committee are scheduled on 12 and 15 January 2021.
A development assessment will be part of the procedure on 19 January 2021.
No agencies please