Are you the Postdoc who is interested in analysing the impact of farming practices in dairy farms on biodiversity, in developing biodiversity-friendly business models in cooperation with stakeholders and in determining the factors for successful implementation of such business models? We believe that restoring and enhancing biodiversity requires a systems approach and knowledge of ecological, social and economic aspects. Are you ready to join us in this challenging journey? Then, apply for this PostDoc position. Biodiversity in the Netherlands is declining, especially those species associated with agricultural areas (e.g. meadow birds, butterflies and mammals). Also, the ecological status of surface water bodies and the conservation status of habitats are under unfavorable conditions. The decline is happening despite of the great efforts from conservation organizations, farmers and farmer organizations, and the mobilisation of resources (e.g. subsidies or regulations) dedicated to halt biodiversity loss. The Dutch Research Agenda has recently launched the programme “Living labs for the restoration of rural biodiversity” with the aim to gain insight into the practical possibilities to restore biodiversity. You will join the Living Lab ‘Alblasserwaard’, situated on peat soils. The project will concern practical research with the aim to reverse the negative trend in biodiversity. The project involves investigating which management practices in dairy farming can strengthen biodiversity and how these can become part of revenue or business models. The project also aims to develop key performance indicators and explore how farmers and other parties can take action. If you are interested, you can also take part in the educational activities of our group, such as supervising BSc and MSc students, lecturing or assisting in practicals.
The researcher we seek has the following key qualifications:
- You have completed a PhD in animal sciences, environmental sciences, rural development, agricultural economics or farming business operations.
- You have some experience in at least two of the domains listed above.
- You have experience or affinity with working in interdisciplinary teams.
- You are proactive, eager to learn and like to work as part of a team.
- You communicate well, written and orally, in English and in Dutch.
- You have interest and good record in publishing in renowned scientific journals in the field.
- You enjoy or would like to develop your skills in teaching and supervision of BSc/MSc students.
- In order to visit farms, a driving license is required.
A challenging position with, depending on your experience, a competitive salary from a minimum of € 2790,- to a maximum of € 4402,- for a full working week of 38 hours in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (scale 10). The appointment is for 0.6 – 0.8 FTE. The duration of this project is 4 year.
In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- a structural end-of year bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions;
- flexible working hours that we determine together in good consultation;
- excellent pension plan through ABP;
- 232 vacation hours, the option to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes, e.g. the possibility to work a maximum of 2 hours per week extra for extra leave;
- a flexible model to put together part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan;
- a lively workplace on the Wageningen Campus;
- make use of the sports facilities on campus for a small fee.
Wageningen University & Research stimulates internal career opportunities and mobility with our internal recruitment policy. There are ample opportunities for personal initiative in a learning environment. With us you get a versatile job in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.For this position you will be located at Wageningen, within Animal Production System Group.
For more information about this function you can contact Dr. Raimon Ripoll Bosch from APS Group, via email@example.com
Do you want to apply?This can be done directly via the application button at the vacancy on our website so that we can process your personal data with your permission. This vacancy is open up to and including the 27th January, 2021. We have the intention to start with this position as soon as possible. Equal opportunities employerWe are an employer that offers equal opportunities. We are happy to receive applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of race, gender, functional impairment, religion / belief, sexual orientation or age.We believe that a diverse and inclusive working environment makes us a more relevant, competitive and resilient organization. Click here for more information about working at WUR with a functional impairment.
The mission of Wageningen University & Research is “To explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life”. Within Wageningen University & Research, nine specialised research institutes from the Wageningen Research Foundation and Wageningen University have joined forces to help answer the most important questions in the domain of healthy food and living environment.
With approximately 30 locations, 6,500 employees, and 12,000 students, Wageningen University & Research is one of the leading organisations in its domain worldwide. An integrated approach to problems and the cooperation between various disciplines are at the heart of the unique approach of Wageningen.
The Animal Production Systems (APS) group is one of twelve chair groups within the Department of Animal Sciences of Wageningen University. Using concepts of systems analysis, we aim at providing integrated analysis of existing and innovative animal production systems to design a sustainable food future. Click here for more information about education and research at the Animal Production Systems group.
For further information about working at Wageningen University & Research, take a look at the special career site.
Do you like to see more from our Campus, take a virtual tour on our campus here:
We do the recruiting for this vacancy ourselves. Please do not contact us for sales purposes.