The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, and Computer Science (EEMCS) is establishing a Centre for Networked and Embedded Systems Research. This centre studies the architectures and protocols for secure networked and embedded systems, with an emphasis on resource-constrained networked embedded systems, and their application to domains such as wireless sensor networks, automotive, the Internet of Things, and energy systems.
A crucial research topic of the centre is on efficient embedded computations. To strengthen the research in this domain, we are looking for highly motivated and enthusiastic colleagues for Assistant/Associate/Full Professor positions within the chair for Computer Architecture and Embedded Systems. Qualified candidates at the associate or full-professor level will also be eligible for the position of chairperson of the chair.
Within this theme you will perform research on computer architectures for networked embedded systems. These systems have to deliver performance and be reliable while dealing with demanding resource constraints. Adaptability and flexibility are key aspects to achieve these demands. New computing architectures and techniques have to be explored in a broad area of research comprising for example:
- Real-Time Embedded Software
- High-level hardware description and synthesis techniques
- Architectures for machine learning
- Edge and cloud computing for embedded devices
- Reconfigurable architectures
- Approximate computing
- Circuit-level digital design
This research is often performed in a multidisciplinary collaboration with industry and is applied in areas such as communication systems (e.g., 5G, IoT), smart grids, automotive systems, factories, agriculture and robotic systems. Both in research and in education, you will intensively collaborate with colleagues from within the centre (see below for the constituting groups) and with other colleagues within the faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics , and Computer Science.
Do you want to contribute to our research and education in one or multiple of the areas mentioned above?
- You have a PhD-degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, or a related field;
- You have a track record in research and teaching in computer science or electrical engineering, shown by an excellent publication record in a relevant area, and excellent teaching track record (at BSc, MSc or PhD level);
- You are able to articulate a consistent research agenda to attract funding to support such research;
- You have a strong interest and shown ability to collaborate in an academic, multidisciplinary environment, and to build and maintain a network for international experience.
- You have, or are willing to acquire, a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) or equivalent;
- You are fluent in English.
Are you up for the challenge to improve the world of EEMCS with your research as well as teaching in one of the most top-rated departments in the Netherlands?
- You will be appointed for 2 years, with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation, within an inspiring, multidisciplinary and international environment;
- We offer talented academics a clear and attractive career path, a tenure track is one of the possibilities;
- We offer a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda;
- Your starting salary will range from € 3.746 (scale 11) to € 8.371 (scale H2) gross per month, depending on your experience and qualifications (in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities);
- We offer attractive employment conditions like 8% holiday allowance, 8,3% end-of-year bonus and a solid pension scheme;
- You will receive excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development incl. training in teaching;
- We offer a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Please send your application via the ‘Apply now’ button, and include:
- a motivation letter clearly stating how you meet the selection criteria (including a short research and education statement, max. 2 pages in all);
- a detailed curriculum vitae, including a list of publications and your teaching experience.
We have no deadline, but we will start selecting from December 1, 2020.
More information on the chairs within the Centre for Networked and Embedded Systems Research can be found here:
- Computer Architecture for Embedded Systems
- Design and Analysis of Communication Systems
- Pervasive Systems
You are welcome to contact prof. dr. ir. Geert Heijenk (email@example.com) for any questions you might have.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) comprises three disciplines that shape Information and Communication Technology. ICT is more than communication. In almost every product we use mathematics, electronics and computer technology and ICT now contributes to all of societies’ activities. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. The research which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) uses mathematics, electronics and computer technology to contribute to the development of Information and Communication Technology (ICT). With ICT present in almost every device and product we use nowadays, we embrace our role as contributors to a broad range of societal activities and as pioneers of tomorrow’s digital society. As part of a people-first tech university that aims to shape society, individuals and connections, our faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad, and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. Our research has a high profile both in the Netherlands and internationally. It has been accommodated in three multidisciplinary UT research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centre and Digital Society Institute.
As an employer, the EEMCS Faculty offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With our Faculty, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customizable conditions.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology’ we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT’s departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE/FULL PROFESSORS IN COMPUTER ARCHITECTURES FOR NETWORKED EMBEDDED SYSTEMS