KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The Department of Mathematics at KTH is offering a two-year post-doctoral position in mathematical statistics connected to MedTechLabs’ project in bioelectronic medicine. MedTechLabs is an interdisciplinary research center in medical technology research that creates new conditions for the health care to offer the patients faster diagnosis and better treatment. The Department of Mathematics is part of the project in bioelectronic medicine, which is a developing area of research that combines molecular medicine, neuroscience, engineering, and data analysis to develop devices to diagnose and treat disease.
The position as postdoc aims at conducting research in applied mathematics with emphasis on methods for signal processing, statistical inference and machine learning. The overall aim of the project is the create an artificial intelligence that interacts with the nerve system to autonomously monitor and treat inflammation. This involves development of advanced methods in machine learning and statistical inference based on stochastic processes, signal processing, functional- and harmonic analysis to identify inflammation by analysis of electric neural activity related to inflammatory cytokines. The research includes mathematical development and analysis of models and methods for data analysis, such as clustering methods and generative models, as well as practical implementation and analysis of data from clinical studies.
The position involves collaboration with researchers at the Center of Bioelectronic Medicine at Karolinska Institute and the Brummer & Partners MathDataLab at the Department of Mathematics, KTH.
The position includes a limited amount of teaching (at most 20%).
You can read more about what is included in a postdoctoral position on the Swedish Agency for Government Employers – postdoctoral agreement
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Works in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- An inspiring research environment in mathematics and applied mathematics and a unique collaboration with the Center of Bioelectronic Medicine at Karolinska Institute.
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline (Whit some exceptions for special reasons such as periods of sick or parental leave, kindly indicate if such reason exists in your resume).
We seek a candidate with a strong background in parts of mathematics relevant to data analysis and practical experience in data analysis. The successful applicant should be strongly motivated and have the following qualifications
- Research expertise
- Teaching abilities
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality
- Collaborative abilities
- Communication skills
- Programming skills in Python and/or Matlab
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency. No skills in Swedish are required.
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH’s webbpage.
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account of why you want to conduct research, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Max two pages long.
- Brief motivation of why you want to work on this project.
- Two letters of recommendation, with subject: “MedTechLabs Letter of recommendation” sent to email@example.com
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||July 1st, 2021 or according to agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Contact||Professor Henrik Hult, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Last application date||20.Jan.2021 11:59 PM CET|