KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Information and Communication Technology
The project tackles the power, energy, thermal management challenges in many-core processors, which have become the limiting factor for continuing the microprocessor roadmap. In fact this has been a universal concern in hand-held computer devices, embedded systems, desktop computers and cloud computers. The project aims to develop a novel learning-based dynamic power management paradigm that exploits parallel program characteristics to achieve most efficient power provisioning schemes for homogeneous and heterogeneous many-core processors and accelerators.
We are looking for a PhD student who has genuine interest in computer architecture, parallel computing, machine learning, and the application of machine learning algorithms to address performance-power challenges in many-core processors. The student is expected to have strong academic background in computer or electrical engineering, and machine learning. The student will work in an ambitious research group which has accumulated many years of experience and expertise in computer architecture, in particular, network-on-chip, electronic design automation, and realtime embedded systems. The student is expected to have strong engineering skills in building up simulation environment, designing digital hardware, developing research prototype, and be able to publish high quality papers.
Supervision: Prof. Zhonghai Lu
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering or a related area,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
- Requirements for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here.
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
- Knowledge and skills in building software simulation tool, using microprocessor simulation tools, for example, GEM5.
- Knowledge and experience in digital hardware (FPGA, ASIC) design and building research prototype.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral Degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ‘ time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH’s recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports or master thesis. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
- One recommendation letter
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||1 April or according to agreement|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH’s doctoral student salary agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Contact||Zhonghai Lu, email@example.comTysse Norlindh Falk, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Last application date||15.Feb.2021 11:59 PM CET|