KTH Royal Institute of Technology
Postdoc in History of Media and Environment, The research field focuses on AI for environmental purposes and on historical perspectives
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
As a postdoctor you will work in a new research field which combines media- and environmental history, critical media theory, environmental humanities and social sciences with the study of Artificial Intelligence and autonomous systems. The research field focuses on AI for environmental purposes and on historical perspectives on environmental media, technology, and science. The aim is to develop an understanding for how local and global environments are created through data collecting and data processing, as well as for questions of access, use and ownership of data and knowledge of the environment. The research field involves also how environmental science that engages Artificial Intelligence and autonomous systems can affect the understanding of environmental change, risks, sustainability, and governance.
In this role you will collaborate with the Formas-funded project “The Mediated Planet: Claiming Data for Environmental SDGs” and with the WASP-HS Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program – Humanities and Society project “Media and Environment: AI and Autonomous Systems in Data-based Environmental Research”.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Works in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- Teaching abilities
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality
If you want to apply for this position you have:
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, in the history of science and technology, STS, environmental history, media theory, or a related field in the humanities and social sciences. The degree to be obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline (With some exceptions for special reasons such as periods of sick or parental leave, kindly indicate if such reason exists in your resume).
- Very good English skills, since you will be working in a multi-cultural research environment and be expected to publish in English language.
- Collaborative ability, are communicative and take initiative. You drive your work forward independently and also in groups, and you can demonstrate good organizational skills such as good work structure and research expertise.
It is preferred if you have:
- Teaching experience or abilities
- International experience
- We prefer that you are aware of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH’s webbpage.
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience, knowledge, and list of publications.
- Brief research statement with description of your research so far and future research goals and interests. Max two pages long.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Names and addresses of two or more reference persons.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
To apply for this job please visit kth.varbi.com.