University of Oulu is now hiring highly motivated candidates for doctoral student positions in the doctoral programmes of the University of Oulu Graduate School (UniOGS). There are multiple short-term (3-6 months) positions available in Health and Biosciences Doctoral Programme (DP-HBS)
Successful candidates must commit to researcher training within Health and Biosciences Doctoral Programme with full-time work and to completing their degree within four years.
DP-HBS gathers clinical medicine, biomedicine, biochemistry, molecular medicine, dentistry, health sciences, medical technology and biology under the umbrella of a multidisciplinary training programme. As one of the four multidisciplinary doctoral programmes of the University of Oulu Graduate School, DP-HBS is a fundamental part of the University of Oulu strategic research focus area “Molecular and environmental basis of life-long health” and it will strengthen the systematic and already strong research training and collaboration in this field.
DP-HBS operates in close connection with Medical Research Center Oulu (MRC Oulu) and Biocenter Oulu (BCO), and the research environment of the doctoral students spans over several faculties, predominantly the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine. The number of doctoral students in DP-HBS is over 600. There are max 10 full-time, two to three -year positions available in DP-HBS for 2021-2023 (see the corresponding call). Within the HBS programme, it is possible also to apply for a shorter period of time than three years, including 3-6 months positions for 2021 (this call).
Please note that you can only apply either long-term (2-3 year) or short-term (3-6 months) position, but not both.
An eligible candidate has a Master’s degree or an equivalent degree in a field relevant to the applied field. The degree must have been completed before the selection with at least good grades. The priority will be given to professionals in the field of Health and Biosciences and with a degree of Licentiate of Medicine, Licentiate of Dentistry or Master of Health Sciences. Selected candidates must meet all the requirements to receive doctoral study rights as defined in: http://www.oulu.fi/uniogs/requirements_for_admission.
In student selection, priority will be given to such doctoral students whose supervisor is not receiving strategic spearhead or emerging funding related to doctoral training from the University of Oulu during the applicable term, i.e. 2021 onwards.
The major subject of the doctoral student is expected to be in the Doctoral Degree Programme of Medicine, Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, Health Sciences, Dentistry or Biology.
Prior to submitting, applicants are expected to have or find a prospective main supervisor in an eligible research unit. Applicants are advised to seek potential supervisors in the faculty web pages or the research focus area web pages. The proposed main supervisor must clearly be identified in the application form (full name, title, position, faculty and research unit at the University of Oulu). A letter from the proposed supervisor willing to commit for supervision must be attached into the applicant’s set of documents (see below).
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, the commitment letter does not bind the proposed supervisor to any commitment, if the applicant is not selected into the doctoral student position applied here and for which the letter of support was provided.
Salary and key terms
The salary level of selected doctoral students will vary on levels 2 – 4 of the national salary scale for the teaching and research staff of Finnish universities according to the progress of the PhD thesis. In addition, a supplementary remuneration is given for personal achievement and performance (max. 50 %). In practice, the salary is roughly 2200 – 2700 € per month for an early stage researcher, depending on the appointee’s qualifications and progress of the doctoral thesis.
The positions are filled at the earliest on 1 January 2021.
How to apply
Submit your application in English through the online system by 16 August 2020. Please include the following attachments as five separate pdf files (please note that the online system has a maximum size limit for attachments):
- CV: Including a list of all peer-reviewed scientific publications with full reference details.
- Motivation letter: Describing prior knowledge, research interests and career plan (max 1 page).
- Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned electronic copies of diplomas and transcripts of the records of relevant previous degrees. If the original documents are not in Finnish, Swedish or English, each document must be accompanied by an official certified translation into Finnish or English.
- Research plan approved by the supervisor: Please follow the structure given in the guidelines of the Academy of Finland (http://www.aka.fi/en/funding/apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines/research-plan-structure/structure-of-research-plan-academy-research-fellow-funding/) However, for the current purpose, the texts under the given section headings need not cover all bullet points in the guidelines, and the maximum length of the (draft) plan’s body of text must not exceed 3 pages with 10-12 point font size and with at least 1,5 cm margins. A fourth page can be used for the list of references only. Thus, the max total length of the plan including the references is 4 pages. Exceeding the page limit will either result in disqualification or removal of the extra pages from the document.
- Letter of provisional commitment from the supervisor (max 1 page): This is a brief letter (with date and signature) where an eligible supervisor (either a professor or a docent level researcher who is employed by the University of Oulu) states his/her willingness to act as the supervisor for the applicant. The commitment letter must clearly indicate the University of Oulu’s Research unit, to which the supervisor is affiliated. As the funding provided via this call does not cover all salary related costs the commitment letter must also clearly indicate that the research unit will hire the candidate for full-time work and it will cover all salary-based costs from its, own budget.
Applications received after the deadline, incomplete applications, and/or applications with attachments that exceed the specified limits, will not be considered.
Application and evaluation process
Evaluation and ranking of the applications will take place in multiple stages. First, ineligible or incomplete applications are rejected. Second, eligible and complete applications are evaluated and ranked by the external evaluation panel. Third, applications with highest scores from the second round will be further evaluated and ranked by the corresponding Doctoral Training Committee. Finally, University of Oulu Graduate School deans will consolidate the evaluation results and make the final decision for the positions. All applicants will be informed of the selection by e-mail.
For information about eligibility and degree requirements, see the Graduate School website: https://www.oulu.fi/uniogs/
About the evaluation process: DP-HBS coordinator Mirja Peltola (firstname.lastname@example.org).