The Graduate School of Communication (GSC) is responsible for the education within the Master’s in Communication Science (four tracks), the Research Master’s in Communication Science (two tracks) and the Erasmus Mundus Master’s in Journalism, Media and Globalisation at the University of Amsterdam.
We are looking for two enthusiastic, communicative and easy-going student assistants who can give student-to-student support and guidance within the pre-Master’s programme. Each mentor will be assigned a cohort of students that are currently studying in the pre-Master’s programme. You will digitally meet with your group of students on a regular basis to help support a community feeling amongst them. As a mentor, you will empower this cohort by sharing good practices/own experiences to overcome problems and maximize the opportunities of the program – including extracurricular opportunities. As a mentor you will be supported by the study advisers, who you can turn to for difficult questions, ask for inspiration on activities and chat about anything else as it relates to your group of students. The study advisors will also check in with you and ask you about your observations and the atmosphere within your group of students. The study advisors retain a formal advice role in the programme whereas your role, as mentor, is not advise-based but rather serves as experienced mentor who can provide guidance throughout the pre-Master journey.
What will you be doing?
- You will give guidance on various matters, such as:
- about good practices on successful studying in the pre-Master’s programme;
- about different (digital) facilities that the university offers;
- where to find (digital) study places;
- where to address different types of questions;
- what it is like to study in Amsterdam (daily life questions);
- you provide guidance based on your own experiences. This support includes questions related to the pre-Master’s programme, but also about studying in Amsterdam;
- you will have to organise ‘social events’ to increase engagement and inclusion;
- you will regularly consult with the study advisors to share your experiences and obtain guidance.
What do we require?
As our student assistant you:
- have successfully completed the pre-Master’s programme and still have to study for at least one year at the Graduate School of Communication;
- are easy going and have a good set of social skills;
- are proactive and know when to direct a student to the study advisors;
- are able to work independently and flexible (some weeks will be more busy than others);
- enjoy being a student at the Graduate School and would like to be part of the team and represent the GSC towards prospective students.
The position is temporary for a period of one semester (start 1 February 2021). Depending on the year of study, the salary range is €2,110 to €2,462 gross per month (Student Assistant salary grade, pursuant to the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities) based on a full-time workweek. This position is on the basis of expense claim with a max of 50 hours per semester, there will be no employment contract.
If you have any questions about this position you may contact:
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritise diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
This vacancy is only open for students who are enrolled for the (Research) Master’s programme in Communication Science. You can email your curriculum vitae and motivation letter by 18 January 2021 to Ms Elske Verkruijsse.
No agencies please