As a postdoctoral researcher you will carry out research on land use emissions, how they can be systematically attributed at country level, and how emission reduction strategies at producer and consumer level affect the attributed emissions (funded by the Dutch Research Council).
Do you want to make a difference in combatting climate change? Then join the Radboud Institute of Biological and Environmental Sciences as a postdoc. You will research on greenhouse gas emissions from land use and how these emissions can be systematically attributed to countries. You will conduct your research in a friendly environment with a diverse team that helps you unleash your potential.
As a postdoctoral researcher you will carry out research on land use emissions, how they can be systematically attributed at country level, and how emission reduction strategies at producer and consumer level affect the attributed emissions (funded by the Dutch Research Council). In addition, you will also contribute to the analysis of direct and indirect effects of sustainability certification of biobased products (funded by Horizon Europe within the framework of the Harmonitor project). Both projects will apply multi-regional input-output modelling. You will help supervise a PhD candidate in both projects. Up to 10% of your workload may consist of teaching activities (in English), to be further outlined in consultation with you and your supervisor.
- You hold a PhD degree in industrial ecology, environmental or ecological economics (or an equivalent degree) or you will have completed such a degree before the start date.
- You have experience in global environmentally extended multi-regional input-output modelling with an interest in land use emissions. Additional knowledge of and experience in any of the following topics is desirable: life cycle assessment, climate change, international trade of agricultural commodities.
- You have computing and analysis skills, for example in using Matlab or R.
- You are willing to work in an interdisciplinary research team.
- You have good oral and written communication skills in English.
The Radboud Institute for Biological and Environmental Sciences (RIBES) aims to perform world leading research in order to understand the response of the natural environment to human impact. RIBES investigates stress and adaptation processes in severely affected ecosystems. This curiosity-driven, fundamental research is cross-linked with innovative applications in both industry and society with a focus on mitigating ecosystem degradation and finding solutions to restore the natural environment. RIBES is internationally unique, as its research encompasses three major groups of organisms (microorganisms, plants and animals) and spans nearly all levels of biological organisation. In addition to developing world-class research, the institute is dedicated to first-rate education in its Biology BSc, MSc and international PhD programmes.
The mission of the Environmental Science cluster of RIBES is to provide high-quality scientific knowledge that can help the world move towards greater sustainability. To achieve this, we aim to understand, project and address the impact of anthropogenic pressures on ecosystems and humans from the landscape to the global scale. This enables us to explore and develop wide-ranging sustainable solutions for the environmental challenges the world faces today.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- Employment for 0.9 (3.5 year contract) – 1.0 FTE (3 year contract).
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €2,846 and a maximum of €4,490 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 10).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 3 or 3.5 years.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University’s primary and secondary employment conditions. You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Prof. Birka Wicke, Professor of Land, Climate and Sustainability at email@example.com.
Practical information and applications
You can apply until 19 May 2022, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Prof. Birka Wicke. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV.
The first round of interviews will take place on 30 May. You would preferably begin employment on 1 September 2022.
We can imagine you’re curious about our application procedure. It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.