The University of Gothenburg tackles society’s challenges with diverse knowledge. 56 000 students and 6 600 employees make the university a large and inspiring place to work and study. Strong research and attractive study programmes attract scientists and students from around the world. With new knowledge and new perspectives, the University contributes to a better future.
The department of Computer Science and Engineering is strongly international, with approximately 300 employees from over 30 countries. The department is a fully integrated department with the University of Gothenburg and Chalmers University of Technology as principals. The position is placed in the unit for Formal Methods at the department, with the University of Gothenburg as the employer. We are offering a 2-year postdoc position supported by the ERC Consolidator grant “D-SynMA”. As a postdoc you are expected to perform your own research (within the scope of the grant) and your interests and choices will inform the tasks that you take. We aim to support you in the development of your own career. Particularly, in addition to strengthening your scholarly proficiency we encourage you to collaborate and extend your networks as well as engaging in relevant staff development and trainings. Involvement in teaching is not a requirement, however, if this is desired there might be an option to accommodate it. The university of Gothenburg is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage applications from underrepresented minorities. Subject area Formal Methods – specifically reactive synthesis from temporal specifications Subject area description You will work on the ERC Consolidator funded project “D-SynMA: Distributed Synthesis from Single to Multiple Agents”. The aims of the project are to develop theoretical foundations that will enable to apply reactive synthesis from temporal specifications to work for multiple agents. This includes studying two-player games and their solutions, modelling solutions for interacting agents, studies of temporal and modal logic, and multi-agent systems. Specifically, research will focus on the following objectives:
- Consider modelling frameworks that combine message passing and variable sharing allowing for synchronization as well as passage of information.
- Consider modelling and analysis of multi-agent systems.
- Work on algorithmic analysis of games that arise from combinations of multiple agents supporting rich modelling features. This includes analysis of partial information games and applications of abstraction and compositionality to games analysis.
- Study specification languages that allow to reason about how agents interact as well as what are their goals. Algorithmically analyse games that arise from such specifications.
To engage in research related to the topic of the grant:
- To plan and produce independent high-quality original research.
- To write up findings for scientific publications.
- To present scientific findings at international conferences.
- To contribute to the overall activities of the research team and department as required by providing support and guidance to other staff and students.
Assessment criteria Regulations for the evaluation of qualifications for academic positions are given in Chapter 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance and in the Appointment Procedure for Teaching Posts at the University of Gothenburg. Essential
- PhD in computer science or closely related field.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work as part of a team in addition to independently.
- Proven strong track record demonstrating high-level knowledge and skills in Verification, Model Checking, Automata on Infinite Objects, Temporal Logic, or Two-Player Games.
- Proven strong track record demonstrating high ability to write, present and publish research results in relevant conferences and journals.
- High level of proficiency in English, sufficient to undertake research, teaching and administrative activities utilising English Language materials and to communicate effectively with staff and students
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to observe research ethics.
- Highly trustworthy with a strong work ethic.
- Ability to organize own time.
- Experience of working with students and collaborators.
- Experience of undertaking collaborative research.
- Ability to make presentation of results to general public
ApplicationSubmit your application via the University of Gothenburg’s recruitment portal by clicking the “Apply” button. It is your responsibility to ensure that the application is complete as per the vacancy notice, and that the University receives it by the final application deadline. The application is to be written in English.
Regarding the project, please contact Nir Piterman (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Regarding the position, please contact head of division Aarne Ranta (e-mail: email@example.com)
Regarding the appointment procedure, please contact HR-partner Anna Engkvist (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Application deadline: 2022-06-30
Read more and apply here.
*** Chalmers declines to consider all offers of further announcement publishing or other types of support for the recruiting process in connection with this position. ***
Chalmers University of Technology conducts research and education in engineering sciences, architecture, technology-related mathematical sciences, natural and nautical sciences, working in close collaboration with industry and society. The strategy for scientific excellence focuses on our six Areas of Advance; Energy, Health Engineering, Information and Communication Technology, Materials Science, Production and Transport. The aim is to make an active contribution to a sustainable future using the basic sciences as a foundation and innovation and entrepreneurship as the central driving forces. Chalmers has around 11,000 students and 3,000 employees. New knowledge and improved technology have characterised Chalmers since its foundation in 1829, completely in accordance with the will of William Chalmers and his motto: Avancez!
URL to this pagehttps://www.chalmers.se/en/about-chalmers/Working-at-Chalmers/Vacancies/Pages/default.aspx?rmpage=job&rmjob=10529&rmlang=UK