Technician specializing in chemistry, chemical engineering, environmental chemistry, the measurement of standard gases of air samples
The Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry (MPI-BGC) in Jena is dedicated to interdisciplinary fundamental research in the field of Earth system sciences with a focus on climate and ecosystems. The internationally renowned institute, which currently employs around 230 people, will celebrate its 25th anniversary in 2022. Jena is known for high-tech industry, internationally renowned research institutions and a modern university, but it also has a beautiful natural setting in the green Saale valley with steep limestone slopes. The city of Jena has an active student scene and a diverse cultural life. We are looking from 01.11.2022 as State-certified technician (m/f/d) specializing in chemistry, chemical engineering, environmental chemistry in full-time; 2 years temporary.
Background and position description
The Service Laboratory Stable Isotopes (BGC-IsoLab) is responsible for high-precision measurements of stable isotopes on various sample types. In addition to routine measurements, the BGC-IsoLab also deals with the standardisation of isotope measurements and other scientific questions. The post holder works in a team of five. The main focus of the work is the preparation and measurement of standard gases and measurements of air samples collected worldwide. In addition, the jobholder is responsible for the entire logistics of the air samples.
- O2/N2 and Ar/N2 measurements on atmospheric air samples and high pressure tanks.
- Dual Inlet Stable Isotope measurements ( δ13 C / δ18 O measurement of CO2 and δ15 N / δ18 O measurement of N2O) and associated sample preparation.
- Responsible for sample flask storage facility and sample flask logistics
- Method optimization and method development of measurement procedures for research projects
- Supervision of student assistants
- Successfully completed vocational training as a state-certified technician in the field of chemistry, chemical engineering, laboratory technology or comparable qualifications
- Expertise in analytical chemistry and instrumental analysis, especially chromatography, mass spectrometry and isotope ratio mass spectrometry
- Expertise in method development and quality assurance in analytical chemistry
- Confident handling of MS Office
- Good knowledge of the German and English language, both written and spoken
- Strong team and communication skills and service orientation
- Initiative and sense of responsibility
- Very good time and priority management
- A goal-oriented, structured and careful way of working
- Interest in working with scientists in a research institution
- Interest in scientific and analytical questions
Part-time work is generally possible. The position will be evaluated and graded following the collective agreement according to TVöD Bund; in addition, we will provide a pension plan based on the public service (VBL).
The Max Planck Society (MPS) strives for gender equality and diversity. The MPS aims to increase the proportion of women in areas where they are underrepresented. Women are therefore explicitly encouraged to apply. We welcome applications from all fields. The Max Planck Society has set itself the goal of employing more severely disabled people. Applications from severely disabled persons are expressly encouraged.
Are you interested? Please send us your application with cover letter, curriculum vitae as well a s names and contact information of two references summarised in a PDF file (max. 10 MB) by e-mail by August 10, 2022, quoting the reference number 30/2022. to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the
Max-Planck-Institut für Biogeochemie
Personalbüro: Kennwort “Techniker”
We ask that you do not use application folders, but only submit copies, as your documents will be destroyed in accordance with data protection regulations after the application process has been completed. We look forward to receiving your application!