Luleå University of Technology experiences rapid growth with world-leading expertise within several research domains. We shape the future through innovative education and groundbreaking research results and drawing on our location in the Arctic region, we create global societal benefit. Our scientific and artistic research and education are carried out in close collaboration with international, national and regional companies, public actors and leading universities. Luleå University of Technology has an annual turnover of SEK 1.9 billion. Today, we have 1,815 staff and 19,155 students.
In the coming years, multi-billion investments will be made in large projects in Northern Sweden to create a fossil-free society both nationally and globally. Luleå University of Technology is involved in several of these cutting-edge research projects and in the societal transformation that they entail. We offer a broad range of courses and study programmes to match the skills in demand. We hope that you will help us to build the sustainable companies and societies of the future.
The subject Engineering Materials belongs to the Department of Engineering Science and Mathematics at Luleå University of Technology. The research at the subject is mainly focused on metallic and ceramic materials, with a focus on the relationship between structure, properties and manufacturing and is mainly experimental. We are now looking for an associate professor who can contribute to the development of our subject, mainly in the field of metallic materials, as well as participate in supervision of doctoral students and teaching at basic and advanced level. The research group currently consists of four senior researchers, two technicians and ten doctoral students. The subject has a well-equipped laboratory for advanced material characterization and analysis of thermomechanical behaviour. We also have access to nearby laboratories, for example for testing of mechanical properties.
Materials science is of great interest to the university and our industrial collaboration partners and we have extensive experience of industrial cooperation. Areas of application are, for example, materials for harsh environments, for energy storage and conversion and additive manufacturing. There are several other research subjects at the university whose research is close to our, such as Solid Mechanics, Process Metallurgy, Machine Elements, Experimental- and Applied Physics. In undergraduate education, there are mainly two programs in international materials science that are important to us, the engineering program EEIGM and the master’s program AMASE. The department also provides courses in materials science for several other of the university’s engineering programs.
Engineering materials includes the field of material composition, structure, properties and production of materials – mainly metallic and ceramic – as well as application aspects.
As an associate professor in Engineering Materials, you are expected to be involved in both education, pedagogical development work and research. Promoting collaboration with national and international research groups and collaboration with local community and industry are also important. The work tasks also include supervising doctoral students and contributing to the development of the subject as well as working actively with external funding of research, and scientific publications. For associate professors, it is also included to lead research projects and communicate their results via academic publications, as well as being active in the research community within the research subject.
Qualified for an appointment as associate professor are those who have demonstrated both scientific and teaching expertise. As much attention must be given to the assessment of the teaching expertise as to the assessment of scientific expertise.
In order to meet the requirements for the appointment as associate professor, the applicant must:
- Have been active as an independent researcher, normally for at least three years after completing a doctoral degree.
- Conducted nationally or internationally recognized research in collaboration with actors outside their own university and presented a research profile with clear progression after the dissertation. This includes a total scientific production that corresponds to at least two doctoral dissertations.
- Have experience of supervising doctoral students, and have been the assistant supervisor for at least one doctoral student for at least two years, unless there are special grounds to the contrary,
- Have demonstrated teaching expertise.
- Have completed training in higher education pedagogy equivalent to 7.5 credits or otherwise have acquired the equivalent knowledge,
For the position the following assessment criteria will apply:
- Scientific expertise
- Documented experience of research in materials science, with focus on steel- and metal research
- Pedagogical expertise
- Documented experience of qualified supervision of doctoral- and master students and teaching
- Other assessment criteria
Other assessment criteria:
– Ability to independently and in teams further develop our research and undergraduate education
– Ability to obtain external research- and development funding
– Ability to teach in Swedish and / or English
– Ability to communicate internally and externally
– Ability to collaborate with the surrounding society, mainly Swedish and international industry and research organizations
– Interest and experience of experimental activities
The position is a permanent employment which is placed at the Division of Materials Science at the university campus in Luleå. Admission date by agreement.
Information about the position can be given by professor Marta-Lena Antti, +46(0)920-492093, +46(0)730-0290434, firstname.lastname@example.org
Union representatives: SACO-S Kjell Johansson, +46(0)920-49 1529 email@example.com and OFR-S Lars Frisk, +46(0)920-49 1792 firstname.lastname@example.org
In case of different interpretations of the English and Swedish versions of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
We prefer that you apply for this position by clicking on the apply button below and attach the requested application documents including diplomas (certified and translated into Swedish or English), pedagogical self-reflection and publications, etc. We prefer that applicants follows the Instructions for applicants. Note that the applicant´s educational qualifications should be particularly documented. Mark your application with the reference number below. Your application, including diplomas, must be written in English or Swedish.
Closing day for applications: August 14, 2022
Reference number: 1857-2022
URL to this pagehttps://www.ltu.se/ltu/Lediga-jobb?l=en&rmpage=job&rmjob=5836&rmlang=UK