Luleå University of Technology experiences rapid growth with world-leading expertise within several research domains. We shape the future through innovative education and groundbreaking research results and drawing on our location in the Arctic region, we create global societal benefit. Our scientific and artistic research and education are carried out in close collaboration with international, national and regional companies, public actors and leading universities. Luleå University of Technology has an annual turnover of SEK 1.9 billion. Today, we have 1,815 staff and 19,155 students.
In the coming years, multi-billion investments will be made in large projects in Northern Sweden to create a fossil-free society both nationally and globally. Luleå University of Technology is involved in several of these cutting-edge research projects and in the societal transformation that they entail. We offer a broad range of courses and study programmes to match the skills in demand. We hope that you will help us to build the sustainable companies and societies of the future.
Luleå University of Technology, as a part of the WISE program (Wallenberg Initiative Material Science for Sustainability), funded by the Knut and Alice Wallenberg foundation, is hereby opening the recruitment of WISE Fellowship faculty positions, Associate Professor, in materials science with focus on sustainability. The WISE fellow recruited will be part of a national WISE research program with many opportunities for interaction with other researchers and stakeholders within the subject area. The startup package for the recruited WISE fellow includes funding of two doctoral students and two postdoctoral fellows.
The associate professor position will be placed at the Department of Civil, Environmental and Natural Resource Engineering, CENE. CENE has around 400 employees and has a strong cluster of research subjects covering the entire metal and mineral value chain including Ore Geology, Exploration Geophysics, Applied Geochemistry, Mining and Rock Engineering, Mineral Processing and Process Metallurgy. The position will focus on system perspectives of recycling and metal extraction systems contributing to sustainable mineral and metal utilisation in the green transition by connecting metal extraction and recycling to include economical, material and energy flow. Cross- disciplinary collaboration with other technical subjects as well as social sciences is expected.
Present activities in the research environment are to a large extent focused on the green transformation and how it is correlated to the mineral and metal value chain, an aspect of large importance to Sweden and in particular to the northern parts of Sweden, involving many research topics at Luleå University of Technology and industrial partners. Research in the area have a strong profile in experimental studies using advanced lab scale equipment and analytical equipment for element and mineral characterization, thermodynamic modelling as well as field studies in collaboration with external partners.
Process Metallurgy is concerned with the sustainable extraction of metals from primary and secondary raw materials using both pyrometallurgical and hydrometallurgical processes.
Research will build on existing activities in recycling and extraction of minerals and metals at Luleå University of Technology and focus on holistic modelling of mineral- and metal materials in a sustainability context.
The main task are to establish research in modelling of mineral and metal extraction with a system perspective covering the life cycle of metals and minerals. As associate professor you are expected to strengthen the research and education field in sustainable recycling and extraction of minerals and metals and contribute with competence complementing our current research profile. The responsibilities include research and supervision of PhD students as well as contributing to undergraduate and master programs. You are expected to develop both national and international networks and attract external funding for research.
The position means that you will:
– Be responsible for establishing the research in the field of sustainability modelling
– Build up a research group that can attract research funding after the initial four years of financing from the Wallenberg foundation
– Supervise PhD students
– Work with research tasks (eg search, lead and collaborate on research projects, communicate and disseminate research results)
– Contribute in teaching and course development in undergraduate and master program
– Collaborate with the surrounding society
Eligible to be employed as an associate professor
Eligible to be employed as an associate professor is one who has demonstrated both scientific skill and pedagogical skill. As much care should be given to the examination of the pedagogical as to the scientific skill.
To meet the requirements for employment as an associate professor, the applicant must have:
– presented a research profile with clear progression after the dissertation and scientific contributions corresponding to at least two doctoral dissertations.
acted as an independent researcher, for example via:
– research-related positions of trust such as an external expert or examiner
– experience of applying for and being granted external funding for research and development projects in competition
– participated in national and / or international research projects and published together with researchers in research environments other than its own
– have experience of supervision at postgraduate education level and act as assistant supervisor for at least one doctoral student for at least two years, unless there are special reasons for otherwise
– demonstrated pedagogical skills
– completed higher education pedagogical education corresponding to 7.5 credits, or alternatively have acquired corresponding knowledge
– ability to interact with the surrounding society, for example by:
– make new knowledge available to the surrounding society
– incorporate societal needs in research and / or educational contexts
The following assessment criteria will be applied (weighted equally):
– Scientific proficiency in the subject of sustainable recycling and extraction of minerals and metals with focus on modelling based on systematic perspective of the metal cycle
– Pedagogical proficiency
Other assessment criteria (weighted equally)
– Experience and skills in the research area acquired from industrial positions
– Knowledge within process metallurgy, extractive metallurgy, mineralogy, recycling systems and thermodynamics.
– Experience within modelling (e.g. process modelling based on thermodynamics)
– Experience within complex mineral and metal systems.
The employment is a permanent position and is placed at Luleå University of Technology.
For more information, please contact: Professor and Chair of Process Metallurgy Caisa Samuelsson +46 (0)920-491385 email@example.com, or Associate Professor Charlotte Andersson, +46 (0)920-493682, firstname.lastname@example.org
Union representatives: SACO-S Kjell Johansson, +46 (0)920-49 1529 email@example.com and OFR-S Lars Frisk, +46 (0)920-49 1792 firstname.lastname@example.org
In case of different interpretations of the English and Swedish versions of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
We prefer that you apply for this position by clicking on the apply button below and attach the requested application documents including diplomas (certified and translated into Swedish or English), pedagogical self-reflection and publications, etc. We prefer that applicants follows the Instructions for applicants. Note that the applicant´s educational qualifications should be particularly documented. Mark your application with the reference number below. Your application, including diplomas, must be written in English or Swedish.
Closing date for applications: September 30, 2022
Reference number: 2720-2022
URL to this pagehttps://www.ltu.se/ltu/Lediga-jobb?l=en&rmpage=job&rmjob=5973&rmlang=UK