Luleå University of Technology experiences rapid growth with world-leading expertise within several research domains. We shape the future through innovative education and groundbreaking research results and drawing on our location in the Arctic region, we create global societal benefit. Our scientific and artistic research and education are carried out in close collaboration with international, national and regional companies, public actors and leading universities. Luleå University of Technology has an annual turnover of SEK 1.9 billion. Today, we have 1,815 staff and 19,155 students.
In the coming years, multi-billion investments will be made in large projects in Northern Sweden to create a fossil-free society both nationally and globally. Luleå University of Technology is involved in several of these cutting-edge research projects and in the societal transformation that they entail. We offer a broad range of courses and study programmes to match the skills in demand. We hope that you will help us to build the sustainable companies and societies of the future.
The subject of Engineering Materials belongs to the Department of Engineering Science and Mathematics at Luleå University of Technology. The research at the subject is mainly focused on metallic and ceramic materials, with a focus on the relationship between structure, properties, and manufacturing, and is mainly experimental. We are now looking for a senior lecturer who can contribute to the development of our subject, as well as participate in the supervision of doctoral students and teaching at the basic and advanced levels. The research group currently consists of four senior researchers, two technicians, and ten doctoral students. The subject has a well-equipped laboratory for advanced material characterization and analysis of thermomechanical behavior. We also have access to nearby laboratories, for example for testing of mechanical properties.
Materials science is of great interest to the university and our industrial collaboration partners and we have extensive experience in industrial cooperation. Areas of application are, for example, materials for harsh environments, energy storage and conversion, and additive manufacturing. There are several other research subjects at the university whose research is close to ours, such as Solid Mechanics, Process Metallurgy, Machine Elements, Experimental- and Applied Physics. In undergraduate education, there are mainly two programs in international materials science that are important to us, the engineering program EEIGM and the master’s program AMASE. The department also provides courses in materials science for several other of the university’s engineering programs.
Engineering materials includes the field of material composition, structure, properties and production of materials – mainly metallic and ceramic – as well as application aspects.
As a Senior Lecturer in Engineering Materials, you are expected to be involved in both education, pedagogical development work, and research. Promoting collaboration with national and international research groups and collaboration with the local community and industry are also important. The work tasks also include co-supervision of doctoral students and postdoctoral fellows and contributing to the development of the subject as well as working actively with external funding of research, and scientific publications. For university lecturers, it is also included writing research applications and leading research projects and communicating their results via academic publications, as well as being active in the research community within the research subject.
Qualified for an appointment as Senior Lecturer are those who have demonstrated both teaching and scientific expertise. In order to meet the requirements for the appointment as University Lecturer, the applicant must have:
– Completed doctoral degree
– Demonstrated pedagogical skills
– Completed higher education pedagogical education corresponding to 7.5 credits or alternatively acquired equivalent knowledge in another way
– Have experience of supervising master thesis students and project students
For the position the following assessment criteria will apply:
– Documented experience of teaching courses in Materials Science at graduate and undergraduate level or similar
– Documented supervision of master students
– Documented capacity to plan, lead and develop education
– Strong ability to base teaching on research
– Documented experience of research in materials science
– Research expertise must have been demonstrated by the applicant’s independent, high-quality research contributions
– Capacity to plan, initiate, lead and develop research and third cycle (doctoral) education
– Record of obtaining research funding in competition, and the ability to collaborate and engage with the wider community
Equal importance will be given to teaching and research skills in the assessment of applicants. In assessing research excellence quality is ranked the highest.
Other assessment criteria:
– Ability to independently and in teams further develop our education and research
– Potential for research excellence. This should demonstrate the ability to produce work of international or world-leading quality
– Ability to teach in Swedish and/or English
– Ability to communicate internally and externally
– Ability to collaborate with the surrounding society, mainly Swedish and international industry and research organizations
– Interest and experience of experimental activities
– Experience of research on materials for hydrogen storage and transportation and/or sustainable engineering materials is meriting
The position is a permanent employment which is placed at the Division of Materials Science at the university campus in Luleå. Admission date by agreement.
Information about the position can be given by professor Marta-Lena Antti,+46(0)920-49 2093 or +46(0)730-0290434, firstname.lastname@example.org
Union representatives: SACO-S Kjell Johansson, 0920-49 15 29 email@example.com and OFR-S Lars Frisk, 0920-49 17 92 firstname.lastname@example.org
In case of different interpretations of the English and Swedish versions of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
We prefer that you apply for this position by clicking on the apply button below and attach the requested application documents including diplomas (certified and translated into Swedish or English), pedagogical self-reflection and publications, etc. We prefer that applicants follows the Instructions for applicants. Note that the applicant´s educational qualifications should be particularly documented. Mark your application with the reference number below.
Reference number: 2014-2022
Closing day for applications: August 31, 2022
URL to this pagehttps://www.ltu.se/ltu/Lediga-jobb?l=en&rmpage=job&rmjob=5942&rmlang=UK