The Research Scientist will support the AAMP-EM initiative at Purdue University with the focus of advancing the basic understanding of energetic materials. The Research Scientist will plan, conduct, execute, and report advanced research in the science and engineering of energetic materials. Additionally, the scientist will contribute towards raising external funding; help guide undergraduate/graduate students; organize laboratory work including, for example, assigning user responsibilities; develop laboratory protocols for safe and effective operation; design research equipment; and conduct independent research work.
- PhD in engineering or related field
- Two (2) years of industrial/governmental/academic research experience in the area of energetic materials
- Experience with the design of energetic materials experiments and experimental apparatus
- Excellent oral and writing skills to effectively communicate research results to sponsors and/or journal articles and conferences
- Excellent skills in handling, storage, characterization, testing, and processing energetic materials
- Excellent analytical and experimental skills
- Ability to organize and conduct complex research work that may involve multiple individuals at multiple levels
- Ability to closely interact with external sponsors
- Ability to develop and execute protocols to maintain safe research environment at all times
- Ability to work under tight deadlines to meet aggressive milestones
- Ability to interact with a wide range of personalities and make correct decisions under pressure
- Highly motivated individual with the desire to conduct independent research work including raising funding and reporting results with minimal supervision
- Ability to lift and carry 25 to 50 pounds frequently and up to 60 pounds occasionally
- This position is subject to Export Control regulations
- This position has a limited duration of two (2) years with continuation dependent upon additional funding. Benefits do apply.
- Purdue will not sponsor employment authorization for this position
- A background check will be required for employment in this position
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible For Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contributions immediately
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.