We are looking for an enthusiastic, communicative, and highly motivated Assistant Professor (tenure-track) in the area of Applied Mathematics, for example in computational finance, stochastic calculus, statistics (econometrics, learning), mean-field games, or optimization. The aim of this position is to strengthen the ties between Applied Mathematics and Finance and Economics. Mathematicians who can demonstrate affinity with research questions in finance and economics are therefore particularly invited to apply. Depending on your qualifications, the tenure decision may be waived.
In this position, you are expected to play an active role in all aspects of academic life, including research, teaching (in a new double BSc program in Economics and Mathematics), and collaborations with researchers in Finance and Economics. In addition, you will supervise PhD students, collaborate with post-doctoral students, write research grants for potential acquisition of external research funds and are involved in developing and organizing events such as research conferences, workshops and seminars.
We are seeking a driven, creative and collaborative candidate with proven research experience in financial mathematics and multidisciplinary collaborations. For this position the following qualifications are required:
- a PhD in Mathematics or related discipline, preferably related to the described research areas;
- significant research achievements and promise for the future;
- commitment towards teaching and student supervision;
- ability to teach in and develop teaching material for Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes in Mathematics;
You are required to have or to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) during the first two years of the appointment.
In view of our aspiration to improve the gender balance, we strongly encourage women to apply.
Willingness to acquire a working knowledge of the Dutch language within the first few years of the appointment is furthermore highly appreciated.
- Assistant professor positions are tenure-track positions subject to a mid-term evaluation after approximately 2.5 years and an end-term evaluation. Following a positive evaluation the position will become permanent after 5 years. However, depending on qualifications, the tenure decision may be waived.
- The gross salary – depending on previous qualifications and experience – ranges between € 3974,- and € 5439,- (scale 11 according to the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment.
- Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. We offer a pension scheme, collective insurance schemes and flexible employment conditions external link(multiple choice model).
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the CAO for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow. For more information, please visit working at the Faculty of Science
About the organisation
(MI) organises and teaches the Bachelor’s curricula in Mathematics as well as the (English-taught) Master’s programme in Mathematics and some service teaching in mathematics. Moreover, a new double BSc programme “Economics and Mathematics”
external link will start as of 2022. The MI currently comprises about 35 faculty members, 10 postdocs and 27 PhD students. The institute is internationally recognised for its research in both pure and applied mathematics. It maintains a long-standing tradition of transdisciplinary collaboration with other scientific fields. We participate in university focus areas in Complex Systems and Applied Data Science.
At the Faculty of Science
there are 6 departments to make a fundamental connection with: Biology, Chemistry, Information and Computing Sciences, Mathematics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, and Physics. Each of these is made up of distinct institutes that work together to focus on answering some of humanity’s most pressing challenges. More fundamental still are the individual research groups – the building blocks of our ambitious scientific projects.
is a friendly and ambitious university at the heart of an ancient city. We love to welcome new scientists to our city – a thriving cultural hub that is consistently rated as one of the world’s happiest cities. We are renowned for our innovative interdisciplinary research and our emphasis on inspirational research and excellent education. We are equally well-known for our familiar atmosphere and the can-do mentality of our people. This lively and inspiring academic environment attracts Professors, Researchers, and PhD candidates from all over the globe, making both the university and the Faculty of Science a vibrant international and wonderfully diverse community.
Facilities for sports and childcare are available on campus, which is located only 15 minutes away from the historical city centre of Utrecht. Utrecht is one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands, with a charming city centre and an internationally oriented culture that is strongly influenced by its centuries-old university.
Additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from Prof.dr.ir. Oosterlee
Do you have a question about the application procedure? Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For initial selection, we ask you to submit the following files electronically:
- cover letter;
- curriculum vitae, including publication list;
- research statement (no longer than two pages (A4);
- teaching statement (no longer than one page (A4);
- contact details of four references from whom we may request a letter of recommendation. Indicate at least one reference who can address teaching.
Submit your application via the link. Initial interviews will most likely be conducted online.
If this specific opportunity isn’t for you, but you know someone else who may be interested, please forward this vacancy to them.
By applying you consent to the confidential sharing of your application materials with relevant staff members of the Mathematical Institute.
The application deadline is 2 September 2022.