A 4-year PhD position at the University of Twente (UT) is available within an NWO project through the Fundamental Fluid Dynamics Challenges in Inkjet Printing-second phase (FIP-II) program. The position is at the Multi-Scale Mechanics group (MSM) of the department of Thermal and Fluid Engineering (TFE). The offered PhD position is part of a joint research project with Canon Production Printing (Venlo, The Netherlands) and the Physics of Fluid (POF) group at the University of Twente.
Surfactants are amphiphilic molecules, consisting of a hydrophobic tail and a hydrophilic head group. This duality makes them surface-active and allows them to alter the interfacial properties of fluids. Surfactants play a critical role in optimizing printing processes. The adsorption of surfactants at the interface/surface controls the wetting and spreading behavior of ink droplets on paper. The transport and redistribution of surfactants within the ink droplet creates tangential Marangoni stresses and non-uniform capillary forces, which affect the flow of ink on and into porous paper. Yet, the details of the underlying physics and chemistry at different scales (time and length) controlling the behavior of surfactants at the interface/surface are still poorly understood.
In this project, multiscale numerical approaches will be used, including Molecular Dynamics (MD) and Dissipative Particle Dynamics (DPD), to explore the behavior of surfactants in the vicinity of surfaces and interfaces. We aim to understand the transport of surfactants from the bulk to an interface/surface, and their effect on the wetting behavior of the fluid. The simulations results will be compared against concurrent experiments at Canon Production Printing (Venlo, The Netherlands).
Your first responsibility is to carry out the research and publish your work in scientific journals and proceedings. You are also encouraged to acquire teaching experience. We support you to broaden your knowledge by joining international exchange programs, by participating in national and international conferences and workshops and by visiting industrial companies, research institutes, and universities worldwide.
- We welcome applications from candidates with a MSc degree or equivalent in physics, material science, chemistry, fluid mechanics or related fields.
- Knowledge on surfactants, interfacial phenomena or emulsions is highly appreciated. Experience with numerical simulations (molecular dynamics, DPD or other small scale methods) and/or programming is advantageous.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English, with good interpersonal communication skills is a requirement.
- We offer you a very challenging position in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- We offer a four-year fulltime PhD position.
- We provide a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities.
- You will be part of a dedicated team with which you will collaborate.
- A starting salary of € 2.541 gross per month in the first year and increasing to € 3.247 gross per month in the fourth year.
- An annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and an annual year-end bonus of 8.3%.A solid pension scheme.
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment to accelerate your further professional and personal growth.
- The University of Twente is situated on a green and lively campus with lots of facilities for sports and other activities.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
You are welcome to contact for any questions you might have: Dr. Ahmed Jarray, firstname.lastname@example.org, and/or Dr. Wouter K. den Otter, email@example.com
- Please upload your application, including the following documents, through the button below.
- A motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications and motivation to apply for this position.
- A detailed CV including a short summary of your MSc research and contact information of at least two references that may be consulted.
- MSc grade list.
The application deadline is 15th of July, 2022