Faculty/Services: Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Educational level: Promoted
Function type: Academic Staff
Closing date: 22 August 2022
Vacancy number: 9678
Are you passionate about teaching, interested in persuasive communication, and looking for a challenging job in a dynamic setting? Due to the world-wide popularity of our teaching program, the Department of Communication Science is looking for several lecturers (teaching-only) Persuasive Communication for all aspects of our program, including methods courses.
The Persuasive communication group is one of the four program groups in the Department of Communication Science at the University of Amsterdam. The Persuasive Communication program group addresses communication that is intended to achieve specific persuasive goals, as is the case in, for instance, marketing communication, health education, and public information campaigns. Courses we teach in the Master’s are the specialization seminars “Marketing communication” and “Health communication”, and electives like “Brand communication”, “Digital analytics”, “Persuasion & resistance”, and “Persuasive design in a digital era”. In the Bachelor, we teach the domain module “
Persuasive communication”, elective courses “Algorithmic persuasion”, “Health communication” and “Content marketing”, and graduation projects in which students write their Bachelor thesis.
PersCom colleagues may also contribute to general communication science courses, for example via our “Introduction to Communication Science” course, or by contribution to our methods education, which includes experiments, surveys, manual or automated content analysis, general statistics courses like statistical modelling, and qualitative methods. More information on these courses can be found here. More information on these courses can be found here. Most of our courses are organized in tutorials or seminars of approximately 25 students, and are taught by a team of lecturers.
With more than 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students, Communication Science is among the largest departments at the University of Amsterdam with an outstanding international reputation. The College of Communication and the Graduate School of Communication offer a Bachelor and Master program, a European joint degree program in Journalism and a Research Master, the only of its kind in the Netherlands. The teaching in our Communication Science program is interdisciplinary and internationally oriented, offering tracks taught in both English and Dutch. If you find this appealing, this may be the position for you.
What are you going to do
- teach modules in the standing program of the Bachelor and Master of Communication Science in Dutch and/or English with a focus on Persuasive Communication. The Master program is taught in English only. The Bachelor program has both a Dutch and an English track;
- supervise and evaluate Bachelor theses, Master theses and internships;
- teach statistical/ methodological courses, in College and/or Graduate School.
- provide/organize teaching in (introductory) communication science courses
What do we require
This is a teaching-only position, in which lecturers spend all their time on teaching and teaching-related tasks. The lecturer will be part of the Persuasive Communication program group.
As an ideal candidate, you:
- have a PhD in Communication Science or a related discipline such as Marketing, Consumer Psychology, Social Psychology, or Health Promotion;
- preferably have a broad knowledge of communication science;
- have a broad interest in teaching;
- have prior teaching experience;
- have or are willing to obtain a teaching certificate (BKO);
- have an excellent command of spoken and written English, and preferably Dutch;
- preferably have experience with and knowledge of (a variety of) research methods and statistics commonly employed in communication science;
- are capable of providing a stimulating teaching environment and are a good team worker.
PhD candidates in their final phase explicitly encouraged to apply.
The position concerns an appointment of 24-38 hours per week (dependent on your preference). The lecturer position is scale 11 as per the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. Salary depends on past education and relevant work experience, with a minimum salary of €3974 and a maximum salary of €5439 gross per month based on a full-time appointment for a 38-hour working week. The position is temporary for one year; pending a positive evaluation and finances, a permanent contract is possible after the first year. The starting date is preferably 15 January 2023 (or earlier). We additionally offer an extensive package of secondary employee benefits, including a generous holiday scheme, 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3%. The UvA offers excellent opportunities for professional development and education.
What else do we offer
- a position in which initiative and input are highly valued
- an enthusiastic and warm program group and department that is open to new colleagues
- teaching in diverse, multicultural, and engaged cohorts of students.
- an inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
A challenging work environment with a variety of duties and ample scope for individual initiative and development within an inspiring organization. The social and behavioral sciences play a leading role in addressing the major societal challenges faced by the world, the Netherlands and Amsterdam, now and in the future.
To work at the University of Amsterdam is to work in a discerning, independent, creative, innovative and international climate characterized by an open atmosphere and a genuine engagement with the city of Amsterdam and society. Here you can read more about working at the University of Amsterdam.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- dr. Hilde Voorveld, Program Group Leader of the Persuasive Communication group, email: email@example.com
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application/motivation letter and resume, all in one pdf file by 22 August 2022 using the link below.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
If you encounter Error GBB451, reach out to our HR Department directly. They will gladly help you continue your application.
No agencies please