Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 54,000 students, more than 7,500 employees and a turnover of around SEK 8 billion.
The role includes converting primary scientific outputs into engaging content suitable for a variety of audiences and will be responsible for creating and executing a communication strategy for project outputs. The candidate will work closely with JUSTNORTH’s coordination team to achieve project objectives and will work together with the project consortium and researchers to communicate and disseminate results emerging from the project with project stakeholders.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of science communication and public relations experience. The candidate will be a clear and analytical thinker with the ability to align messaging from a group of scientists to audiences, including policymakers, industry decision-makers, and local communities.
Candidates should submit with their application a cover letter detailing how they meet the candidate specification and 1-2 communication strategy and with sample communication drafts for the following scientific output: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2022.102480
- 3-5 years of work experience in related positions, including communications, public relations, cause-related campaigns, or other writing positions.
- BA degree in communications, public relations, English, or closely related subject. A postgraduate degree in a related subject is desirable.
- Must be fluent in both writing and speaking English. Other language skills relevant to Arctic communities are a strong asset.
- The candidate will have public speaking skills and be willing and able to travel.
- Varied experience in website publishing and maintenance
- Proven experience in developing communication strategies for complex projects or organisation
- Proven experience in liaising and cooperating with media journalists, government officials, NGOs, and private sector
- Excellent computer literacy skills (i.e., MS Office, ability to touch type at >50wpm), report writing and analytical skills. Experience with mapping or graphic design is a plus
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, demonstrating a high degree of initiative and. flexibility, and the ability to keep pace with project needs.
Duties and responsibilities
- Draft communication strategies and action plans for different parts of the project appropriate to the target stakeholder audience.
- Work closely with the project coordination team and consortium members to create effective communication processes.
- Produce communication materials focus on project promotion for internal and external use across traditional, digital, and social media
- Writing press releases, pitching articles to media and both developing and maintaining a database of media contacts.
- Manage social media platforms and websites with news and useful content, including graphics, photos, audio, and video content.
- Organise conference and media events (webinars, conference panels, interviews, press statements)
- Tracking communication metrics and evolve strategy based on a clear understanding of what works.
- Writing, proofread and edit copy for newsletters, policy briefs or other materials needed to promote project results
- Travel to project events and conferences, including presenting project results with project partners in public events or partner meetings.
- Commissioning media consultants, as needed
The position will be part of the JUSTNORTH project, located at Uppsala University at the Institute for Russian & Eurasian Studies. Remote working is possible for the right candidate.
- 20% contract with flexible hours
- 6 month-contract, renewable
- Salary based on experience of the candidate and constraints of the project budget.
- Up to 2-3 positions available.
For further information about the position, please contact: Corine Wood-Donnelly, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application by 1 August 2022, UFV-PA 2022/2657.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University’s recruitment system.
Placement: Uppsala Centre for Russian and Eurasian Studies
Type of employment: Part-time , Temporary position 3-6 months
Pay: Individuell lönesättning
Number of positions: 2
Working hours: 20 %
County: Uppsala län
Union representative: Seko Universitetsklubben email@example.com
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2022/2657
Last application date: 2022-08-01Apply for position