A permanent 100% position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Engineering and Science as a professor/associate professor for cell design, affiliated to the Department of Engineering Sciences. The position is located, at the present, at campus Grimstad. The starting date is 01.01.2023 or to be negotiated with the faculty.
The professor will become a part of the newly created UiA battery initiative which co-creates a competence hub for lithium-ion battery research and development in close exchange and collaboration with local industry partners in the south of Norway.
We are looking for a battery researcher with an outstanding international track record in analysis and development of commercial lithium-ion batteries. The willingness and ability to attract third-party funding must be evident.
The research focus should lie in at least three of the following areas:
- Cell design development of lithium-ion batteries.
- Quality control and design-optimization for battery production.
- System and module-level integration strategies.
- Battery monitoring and control algorithms.
- Data analysis for aging analysis and lifetime prediction.
- Mitigation strategies for failure mechanism in commercial batteries.
The candidate is expected to play an active role in the development of the growing research activity in electrochemistry and lithium-ion batteries at the battery coast. We are looking for a highly motivated research fellow interested in shaping his/her own project as well as contributing to the future research directions of the battery activities at UiA.
The applicant will play a central role in the interdisciplinary programs in battery technology that are currently under development (BSc and MSc). The ability to give lectures on, e.g., Battery Management Systems, Battery Production, and/or Simulation of Electrochemical Systems in English is expected (start in summer 2023).
- PhD degree in electrical engineering, physical, or material sciences, information technology or related field.
- (Co-)Authorship of scientific publications / scientific presentations in the field of lithium-ion batteries.
- Experience in commercial lithium-ion cell analysis, production, simulation, or related field.
- Written and spoken English proficiency.
The criteria of employment are pursuant to the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts.
For appointment as Professor/Associate Professor applicants must be able to document relevant practical teaching competence based on education or teaching and supervision. Applicants who are unable to document such basic competence at the time of their appointment, will be required to obtain it within a period of two years, possibly by completing UiA’s basis course in university education.
The working language at the University of Agder is Norwegian. Permanently employed staff is expected to be proficient in Norwegian within three years. The University of Agder will facilitate the completion of courses in Norwegian.
- Documented experience in writing research proposals.
- Supervision of Bachelor, Master and or PhD student projects.
- Research project management experience.
- Scientific curiosity for elucidating the bottlenecks of state-of-the-art lithium-ion battery materials and designs.
- Ability for scientifically rigorous, target-oriented, organized, and independent work.
- Good communication and teamwork skills, inventiveness and a proactive hands-on approach are essential qualifications.
- Applicants are expected to contribute to a safe and inclusive working environment.
Personal qualities and suitability for the position will be emphasised.
- Professional development in a large, exciting, and socially influential organisation
- A positive, inclusive, and diverse working environment
- Modern facilities and a comprehensive set of welfare offers
- Membership of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Relocation support from our collaboration partner Relocation Agder, also for spouse and children (immigration, accomodation, jobsearch for spouse, enrollment in kindergarten and schools, social meeting points etc)
Information about why the University of Agder and Norway provide an excellent environment for students and employees can be found here.
The position is remunerated according to the State Salary Scale, salary plan 17.510, code 1013 Professor, NOK 752 800-948 900, or code 1011 Associate Professor, NOK 626 100-776 900 gross salary per year. Higher salary grades may be considered for particularly well-qualified applicants. A compulsory pension contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is deducted from the pay according to current statutory provisions.
UiA is an open and inclusive university. We believe that diversity enriches the workplace and makes us better. We, therefore, encourage qualified candidates to apply for the position independent of gender, age, cultural background, disability, or an incomplete CV.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
The successful applicant will have rights and obligations in accordance with the current regulations for the position, and organisational changes and changes in the duties and responsibilities of the position must be expected. The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Appointment is made by the University of Agder’s Appointments Committee for Teaching and Research Positions.
Short-listed applicants will be invited for interviews and a demonstration of their teaching competency, usually in the form of a trial lecture. With permission from the applicant the university also will conduct a reference check before appointment. The final recommendation will be an overall assessment based on the expert assessment, the trial lecture, the interview(s), and references. Read more about the employment process.
In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act § 25 (2), applicants may request that they are not identified in the open list of applicants. The University, however, reserves the right to publish the names of applicants. Applicants will be advised of the University’s intention to exercise this right.
The application and any necessary information about education and experience (including diplomas and certificates) are to be sent electronically. Use the link “Apply for this job“.
The following documentation must be uploaded electronically:
- CV, showing educational and academic career
- List of publications.
- Documentation of educational competence.
- List of research projects (obtained external funding).
- All certificates and diplomas (copies).
- Research proposal (max. 10 pages).
- Teaching statement.
- PhD thesis.
- Contact details for 2-3 references.
- Any other relevant documentation.
The applicant is fully responsible for submitting complete digital documentation before the closing date. All documentation must be available in a Scandinavian language or English.
Application deadline: 05.08.22
For questions about the position:
- Associate Professor Johannes Landesfeind, tel. +47 406 58 833, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions about the application process:
- Higher Executive Officer Lise Askbo Fylkesnes, tel. +47 37 23 31 25, e-mail: email@example.com
University of Agder
The University of Agder has more than 1500 employees and almost 14 000 students. This makes us one of the largest workplaces in Southern Norway. Our staff research, teach and disseminate knowledge from a variety of academic fields. Co-creation of knowledge is our common vision. We offer a broad range of study programmes in many fields. We are situated at two modern campuses in Kristiansand and Grimstad respectively.
We are an open and inclusive university marked by a culture of cooperation. The aim of the university is to further develop education and research at a high international level.