We are looking for an early-career academic who is interested to start a tenure track that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of public engagement with science and specifically citizen science.
Citizen Science is an important element of Public Engagement with Research. It serves as an interactive means of science education and communication, and co-constructing scientific knowledge across a wide range of science and engineering disciplines. Citizen Sciences can engage citizens in all phases of the research process; from agenda setting, through data collection and analysis, to creating impact.
As Assistant Professor with an education profile you will:
- play a significant role in the development of education at FSE, both at the course and the program level
- develop and teach a new and obligatory 5 ECTS course on Citizen Science, first for the master’s program Science Education and Communication
- develop and (co-)supervise scientific research projects of 30 ECTS in citizen science for the students in the master’s program Science Education and Communication
- contribute to current research lines in the Institute for Science Education and Communication and/or you develop your own research line
- contribute to the supervision of Master and PhD students in the Institute for Science Education and Communication
- contribute to the organization of the faculty through participation in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education.
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks. After five years you will be assessed for tenure and promotion to the level of Associate Professor (see Conditions of employment).
We offer you the opportunity to start a career path that focuses on education and to become an educational leader in time. We encourage you to apply if you have:
- a PhD degree in Science Education/Communication or a related field and preferably focused on citizen science
- a passion for teaching and education development
- demonstrably excellent teaching qualities
- a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals
- at least two years of relevant work experience after your PhD
- a relevant international network and preferably international experience
- demonstrable organizational competences
- good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
- if not yet in possession, willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
- able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
- a team player with good communication skills who is able to inspire students and colleagues
- able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to learn it within five years (B1 level).
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as biology, mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy, life sciences and nanoscience.
The two-year MSc-programme Science Education and Communication caters to students with a BSc in science, mathematics or engineering, and trains them to become either a science teacher in high school or a professional in the broad field of science communication. About 25-30 students enrol each year, of which half in the Communication-track.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Institute for Science Education and Communication (ISEC) that aims to improve science and engineering education and public engagement through research. This is done through explorative and intervention-based studies that include the development, implementation, and impact evaluation of curriculum materials, pedagogical tools and instructional strategies, as well as public engagement activities.
ISEC works closely with the Science Shop, Science LinX, research schools (e.g. Aletta Jacobs School of Public Health) institutes and units (e.g. Professionalisation and Innovation of Education, Science and Society) at the University of Groningen and it is affiliated with international organizations and associations (e.g., European Citizen Science Association, European Network of Science Centres and Museums, the international Living Knowledge Network, Network for Public Communication on Science and Technology, European Science Education Research Association).
Conditions of employment
Fixed-term contract: 60 months.
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a tenure track position as Assistant Professor (0.8-1.0 FTE)
- a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,974 up to a maximum of € 5,439 gross per month (salary scale 11), depending on your career stage) for a full-time position
- a starting package of k€ 40 to travel, organize workshops, etc., as well as access to additional resources for education development projects
- holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
- a pension scheme
- maternity and parental leave
- the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
- a personal development trajectory and a mentor program
- dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/(…)with-us/that-is-why/
In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as Associate Professor with an education profile. Please consider the following link for more details on the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/(…)tion-profile-def.pdf
The continuation of the career path after the level of Associate Professor with an education profile is currently being developed. It will include the possibility of applying for promotion to the position of Full Professor with an education profile.
You may apply for this position until 5 September 11:59pm / before 6 September 2022 Dutch local time (CEST) by means of the application form (click on “Apply” below on the advertisement on the university website). Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
- letter of application (2 pages)
- research statement (2 pages)
- teaching statement (2 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae
- names and contact details of 3 referees.
The selection interviews will take place on 26 September 2022 and 27 September 2022.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/(…)rsity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission’s European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Lucy Avraamidou, +31 6 27194432, L.Avraamidou@rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.
- Profile report in which the position is described in more detail
- More information about the research institute
- Assessment procedure and criteria