Reference No.: CE 2022/18
The Institute for Solar Fuels at HZB develops new materials and devices for the photo-electrochemical conversion of cheap and abundant resources, such as water and CO2, to chemical fuels. We use advanced thin-film deposition techniques to fabricate semiconducting light absorbers, (electro)catalysts, and passivation layers. Our characterization methods include photoelectrochemistry combined with quantitative product analysis, time-resolved spectroscopy, and a variety of surface science techniques. We seek a highly motivated postdoc for an industry-funded short-term project to explore plasmonically-enhanced gas diffusion electrodes for CO2 reduction.
- You synthesize metallic nanoparticles (NPs) with plasmonic absorption bands using wet-chemical methods.
- You develop approaches to immobilize the nanoparticles in porous gas diffusion layers (GDLs).
- You investigate the activity, selectivity, and stability of the GDL/NP electrode assemblies for photo-electrocatalytic CO2 reduction.
- You collaborate with our industry partner and present your results at monthly project meetings.
- You disseminate your work at conferences and write peer-reviewed scientific papers.
- Completed doctorate in (physical) chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, physics, or related field
- Previous experience in synthesis and surface functionalization of inorganic or metallic nanoparticles
- Experience with electrochemistry and gas chromatography or mass spectrometry
- Desirable: expertise in plasmonics and optical characterization techniques
- Very good command of English in relation to scientific writing and communication to various audiences
Your Benefits at HZB
- Work at an internationally renowned research institute in the science metropolis Berlin
- The opportunity to contribute to innovative solutions for a climate-friendly future
- The opportunity to closely collaborate with a very large international industry partner
- Career guidance, specific training offers, and networking with peers provided by the Graduate Center and Postdoc Office
- Work/life balanceFlexible work hours with flexitime
- 30 days paid leave
- Comprehensive counselling services for family and career
- Health management and company sports programmes
- Financial support for public transport (Jobticket)
- Continuing education opportunities
- A company pension scheme (VBL)
- And a team that looks forward to meeting you!
Fixed term contract for 12 months. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
How to apply
To apply, use the application system to submit a cover letter, CV, contact details for two references, and a publication list. Additionally, please complete the questions in the application system according to the instructions. We look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 31.08.2022. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
We strive to increase the proportion of female employees and are therefore particularly pleased to receive applications from women. Disabled applicants with equal aptitude are given preference.For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.