Reference No.: QM 2022/13
The Department for Spin and Topology in Quantum Materials researches materials and concepts for spin-based information processing and data storage, in particular topologically protected states in the electronic structure and spin texture of thin film systems and 2D materials. We operate several measurement stations for spectroscopy and scattering with synchrotron radiation in the soft X-ray range, in particular a photoemission electron microscope (SPEEM). For our SPEEM team we are looking for a postdoc to support our ongoing research in the field of spintronics as well as user support and instrument development. You will be working with state-of-the-art infrastructure in an international and open-minded team where your contribution to our research is valued.
- You will conduct your own research in spintronics, magnetization dynamics, and topological phases.
- You will install and develop new features of the SPEEM setup, such as in situ electrical transport, low temperature sample environment, and dynamic imaging with a Timepix detector.
- You will support and collaborate with experiments conducted by partners and user groups.
- You will assist in teaching and mentoring students.
- Doctoral degree in solid state physics or materials science
- Scientific and technical knowledge in the fields of magnetism using soft-x-ray absorption spectroscopy, in particular circular and linear dichroism and magnetic imaging
- Excellent knowledge in the fields of magnetic hetero and nanostructures
- Experience with nanostructuring and magneto-transport phenomena is advantageous
- Basic knowledge numerical simulation of magnetic systems is desirable
- Advanced programming knowledge (C++, IGOR, Phyton) and basic knowledge in data analysis and image processing
Your Benefits at HZB
- A team that is looking forward to you
- A job at one of the 18 Helmholtz centres
- Work in the research environment of the science metropolis Berlin
- The opportunity to contribute together with researchers from all around the world to the development of d next-gen technologies for a climate-friendly future
- Work/life balance
- Flexible work hours with flexitime
- 39-hour week
- 30 days paid leave
- Mobile working on up to three days/week
- Comprehensive counselling services for family and career
- Health management and company sports programmes
- Financial support for public transport (Jobticket)
- Continuing education opportunities
- A company pension scheme (VBL)
Fixed term contract for 36 months. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 07.08.2022. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
We strive to increase the proportion of female employees and are therefore particularly pleased to receive applications from women. Disabled applicants with equal aptitude are given preference.For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.