Department: Product Development
Let’s shape the future ? University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Product Development in the Faculty of Design Sciences is looking for a full?time doctoral scholarship holder in the field of Product Development.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the field of Product Development. The research focuses on how embodied interaction relates to the mediation of interactive products. You will employ Research through Design in order to investigate how embodied interaction affects the user behaviour of an interactive product in the long run. The practical context is the conception of an interactive product for elderly people, that counters their isolation and feeling of loneliness. A more detailed description can be found in the document “Design for Embodied Mediation”.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for Product Development: design for user experience, design for interaction
- You hold a Master degree in industrial design or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- Experience as a designer in a professional design context (design consultancy, R&D department of a company) is a plus.
- Since the research involves several user tests with Flemish elderly people, knowledge of Dutch is required.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two?year period.
- The planned start date is 1 November 2022 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).You will receive ecocheques, Internet?connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Mutsaard in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 8 August 2022 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a portfolio, motivation letter, CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. The interviews will take place in the second half of August 2022.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact the promoter, Lukas Van Campenhout. email@example.com
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family?friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.