Let’s shape the future – University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Architecture in the Faculty of Design Sciences has the following full-time vacancy: tenured senior academic staff in the field of Sustainable construction in architecture
The vacancy seeks to establish a new focus on the development of sustainable construction comprising new materials and strategies in architectural design both in teaching and research. Building on a broad reflection of the increasing scarcity of resources and the role of architectural production, the candidate should develop methods that contribute to a sustainable building culture. These methods include the development of alternative building materials, components and construction methods for circular building processes, the interplay of construction materials within the building, construction waste-based components and/or design for disassembly, each of which play a role within the architect’s design and building practice. The candidate will ideally set up a lab that can draw on collaborations with product development and the civil engineering department. The candidate will develop the focus on sustainable construction towards an internationally linked research focus, represent and actively shape construction education in architecture, and connect the academic focus with partners from industry and practice. The position forms a central interface between technical and design education and requires a good understanding of the architectural practice and the need for technical knowledge within architecture.
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and services (20%). Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality education in the broad field of materials, construction and sustainability in architecture. You contribute to the further development of the curriculum towards sustainability in the broadest sense.
- Your teaching role will evolve along with the study programmes, and will comprise courses at both basic level (e.g., bachelor programme, building construction) and advanced level (e.g., master programme, advanced construction techniques). Next to your teaching contribution in materials and construction – both at basic level in the and – you will be involved in design studios at bachelor and master level.
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centered and competence-driven programme components and study programmes
- You will supervise students and their Master and PhD dissertations.
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in the knowledge domain of alternative materials and construction dedicated to sustainability architecture.
- You will initiate new research projects and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international journals and specialist literature.
- You further develop a broad international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will contribute to both academic services in relation to research and education and service to society, within the institution and externally. You will participate in boards, committees, working and research groups.
Organisation and leadership
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or service provision.
- Your leadership will be guiding and motivating. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in the field of architecture, architecture- engineering, engineering science or equivalent.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent) and/or experience in architecture or architectural engineering practice.
- Experience with a design practice is highly recommended.
- You can demonstrate with your experience and/or research plan that you are interested in the critical development of the domain of architecture.
- You already have experience in a leadership role, preferably in education and research.
- You have an excellent research profile, covering the domains of construction, material knowledge or sustainable design. You are experienced in setting up and conducting research projects in the relevant field and in acquiring the necessary funds.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available. You have an affinity with design-oriented education.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the senior academic staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor) is determined based on your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as an associate professor. Appointment as an associate professor or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for senior academic staff.
- You will receive ecocheques, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- The planned start date is 1 February 2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at City Campus Mutsaard in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 12 September 2022 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on ‘apply’, complete the online application form and do not forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV, (4) your research plan, (5) your education plan.
- The selection committee will review all applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. The selection interviews will be held on Friday, 21 October 2022.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. dr. Mario Rinke via email@example.com.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply