Ifo Institute – Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich
To strengthen our growing ifo-wide team working on “Big Data Economics”, we are looking for a Data Scientist at the postdoc level for up to six years (remuneration and possible long-term perspective according to experience and qualifications), starting in January 2023 or at the earliest possible. She/he will contribute to ifo’s main research topics with his/her independent research applying a combination of state-of-the-art machine learning and causal inference methods to innovative and unconventional data from various sources and of various types (firm, text, images, administrative, etc.) answering policy relevant economic questions.
Embedded into Munich’s vibrant research environment, the ifo Institute strengthens its profile in the field of Big Data Economics: First, the research data center (EBDC) manages financial and personnel resources to offer and coordinate all necessary support (legal, IT, RDM, etc.) to the researchers including collaborating in research projects. Second, several junior research groups are installed to foster Big Data Economics within and across the ifo departments. Third, the CESifo research network has newly launched the research area “Economics of Digitization” and the Cluster “Economic Research with Firm Data” that aims at developing economic research with unconventional data from firms. Fourth, at the LMU colleagues from the department of economics, several newly established AI professorships, and a large group of data scientist at the statistics department contribute to the growing group of Big Data researchers.
In this stimulating and well-equipped environment, this position plays a pivotal role. It involves initiating, conducting as well as guiding and supervising Big Data research projects with and of other ifo researchers, the junior research groups and external partners from academia and industry – with maximum support from ifo’s infrastructure departments and ifo’s executive board. She/he interacts with other researchers, gives methodological advice and organizes and teaches courses on methods and applications. A doctoral student and several research assistants provide support for the data scientist. Significant funding for data, legal/IT/methodological expertise is provided.
Do you want to know more about us and your career opportunities? Meet us at https://www.ifo.de/en/about-us/ifo-career.
- ou can expect an interesting and challenging job at one of the leading economic research institutes in Europe.
- You will conduct policy-oriented empirical economic research in a top-class research team.
- You have the chance to actively shape the young and rapidly growing area of “Big Data Economics”.
- You will profit from comprehensive further scientific qualification at one of Germany’s best economics departments.
- In line with our claim “Shaping the Economic Debate”, you will make your research results accessible to the general public and contribute to the economic debate.
- Your working contract will initially be limited to three years with an option to extend to up to six years.
- Your remuneration and occupational pension scheme will be based on the collective agreement for the public service of the Länder (TV-L). Depending on your publications, you will be classified in E 13 or E 14.
- Through our close connection to the CESifo network with almost 2000 members from all over the world, you will have the opportunity to acquire enriching international experience and networking.
- You can be part of the Junior Development Program of the economics department of the LMU and can benefit from their career promotion and network activities.
- We support you in your work and personal development with flexible working hours, the opportunity to partly work from home, and many opportunities for further training and education.
- Our institute is a very nice place to work with its own garden and close to the Isar and the English Garden.
- Employees who move from abroad receive a relocation allowance.
- We support non-German-speaking employees with German language courses.
Your area of responsibility and opportunities
- Collaborate in highly-motivated research teams and with interesting industry partners on relevant economic questions
- Take part in highly innovative research projects
- Use and develop cutting edge methodology and infrastructure for working with large data sets from firms, platforms etc.
- Adapt machine learning and causal inference techniques
- Develop expertise in managing large-scale empirical projects with several partners
- Work in a well-equipped research environment and actively shape it further
- Conduct scientific workshops and get in touch with renowned international scholars through the CESifo research network
- Develop a teaching profile for Data Science courses
The ideal candidate is preparing for a permanent academic position, for example a tenure-track or tenured professorship in the field “Applied Data Science”. However, depending on the candidate’s profile, performance and interest, ifo supports in applying for funding a permanent position (e.g. through the Leibniz Programme for Women Professors).
What we expect from you
The ideal candidate will have a wide range of skills and preparation and a strong desire to quickly acquire missing skills and experience. Desirable skills and experience include:
- PhD in economics, statistics, or related fields
- Excellent coding skills in multiple languages (e.g. R, Python, SQL)
- Experience with large datasets and data bases
- Experience using HPC and cloud computing services such as GCP, AWS, Azure, etc.
- Experience working with Github or similar tools for collaboration and version control
- Experience supervising research/student assistants, interns or predocs
- Strong communication skills
With us, you will find an ideal working environment for excellent research. This was also confirmed by the European Commission, which awarded us the “HR Excellence in Research” award in 2019.
Our membership in the Familienpakt Bayern (Bavarian Family Pact) reinforces our measures to reconcile family and career.
We promote professional equality regardless of ethnic origin, gender, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual identity. We strive to increase the proportion of women in research and therefore expressly encourage women to apply.
Interested? Then please send us your application documents with the 2022-018 EBDC-DS by 18. September 2022 using the form here.
Please attach a letter of motivation, your CV, references and other documents relevant to your application in the lower section of the form.
Letters of recommendation can be sent directly from the creator to the following email address: Recruiting(at)ifo.de. The letters will then be added to your application in our system and forwarded to the appropriate people.
Please make sure to use only .pdf files, Word documents and images in .jpg format. Please also note to use short file names. Too long file names can lead to errors when sending the application. Please read the document “Information on attachment naming” carefully so that your application can be sent to us without errors.
Please use “Mozilla Firefox” or “Microsoft Edge” as browser. In case of problems, please check if you are using the latest browser version.
If you have any questions, please contact recruiting(at)ifo.de.