Assistant/Associate Professors in AI/OR for Smart and Sustainable Industry
- HOURS38 – 40 hr.
- SALARY INDICATION€ 3,974 – € 6,705
- DEADLINE30 Sep 2022
We search for talents with a background in Artificial Intelligence / Operations Research, having an interest in Smart Industry (Industry 4.0) and more specifically in responsible, sustainable, resilient, and human-centric industry (Industry 5.0). This industry focus includes all supply chain processes, from resource extraction, manufacturing, last-mile logistics, to end-of-life product management, with a specific emphasis on designing, managing and controlling resilient, sustainable supply chains. The sustainability focus relates to circular economy practices in a broad sense: (i) narrowing the resource loops by, e.g., improving the efficiency of SC processes, (ii) slowing the resource loops by, e.g., predictive maintenance strategies, remanufacturing and renewable energy production, and (iii) closing the resource loops with, e.g., closed-loop supply chain designs, industrial symbiosis, and eco-industrial parks. Hence, we encourage scholars from different areas to apply, for example, those working on advanced production planning, optimization of cyber-physical systems, innovative and sustainable production methods, renewable energy sources in production and logistics, energy optimization, design of digital twins or material passports, and circular and sustainable business models. We aim at filling multiple positions spread out over these different focus areas.
We challenge conventional scholarly wisdom! Are you looking for a forward-thinking team-based environment to expand the borders of your home subject area and develop cross-disciplinary expertise? Join our team and strive to make a significant impact on science and society.
You contribute to research, teaching, and knowledge valorization. You will
- carry out high-tech business research, with a genuine interest in operating at the crossroads of different subject areas;
- improve your home-based specific expertise and develop an interdisciplinary research line;
- build our research and teaching ecosystem (e.g., by acquiring external research funding);
- (co-)teach and coordinate courses in our Bachelor and Master programs of Industrial Engineering & Management;
- guide students from these programs in their graduation assignments;
- develop expertise in novel data driven research methods;
- work jointly with several of our labs and centres, e.g., Advance Manufacturing Centre (AMC) Lab of Fraunhofer Innovation Platform for Advanced Manufacturing, BMS Lab (a lab that develops expertise in using industrial and behavioural research datasets for research), Centre for Energy Innovation, Centre for Smart Logistics and Transport solutions, and Center for Healthcare Operations Improvement and Research;
- contribute towards the supervision of PhD students.
- show vision and ambitious drive (seeing opportunities and possibilities, showing ambition);
- have passion for contributing to the sustainable development goals;
- have knowledge of and experience in several of the following techniques: artificial intelligence, machine learning, operation research, mathematical modelling and optimization, business analytics, supply chain analytics, manufacturing information systems (e.g., ERP, MES), planning and scheduling systems, agent-based modelling, discrete-event simulation, digital twins, etc.;
- have knowledge and experience in applying the above-mentioned techniques in complex supply chains, production networks, healthcare supply chains, or business ecosystems with a focus on increasing sustainability, circularity, and resilience;
- hold a PhD degree in one of the aforementioned areas and have experience in research, which is apparent from publications in reputable academic journals, presentations in international scientific conferences, and other academic activities;
- conduct (fundamental and applied) research within a multidisciplinary environment;
- are active in networks for acquiring research funding, and have ambition and experience in collaborating with companies and governmental agencies;
- have teaching experience (both lecturing and tutoring) at an internationally accredited university;
- possess good communication skills and an excellent command of English;
- possess a (equivalent of) University Teaching Qualification certificate, or be willing to obtain this, and have a real passion for, and the ambition to become a creative and effective teacher.
We offer a permanent position (1.0 FTE) with a one-year probationary period (formally a 1-year contract with the prospect of a permanent contract). The starting salary, depending on your experience, ranges between € 3.974 to € 6.705 gross per month (in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities), based on the job profile Assistant or Associate Professor. In addition, the University of Twente offers additional attractive employment conditions (8% holiday allowance, 8.3% end-of-year bonus, solid pension scheme, sabbatical leave, professional and personal development programs, etc.).
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
For more information on this position you can contact dr.ir. M.R.K. Mes, email: email@example.com. Please include a full resume with references, before September 30th, 2022.