Growing societal complexity and recent developments in technology have changed the fields of design and engineering and widened it to include design for societal transitions and systemic design. Are you passionate about contributing to future research and education in the field of Industrial Design Engineering?
- HOURS40 hr.
- SALARY INDICATION€ 3,974 – € 6,181
- DEADLINE24 Aug 2022
Designers and engineers at the Faculty of Engineering Technology of the University of Twente envision a world in which technological innovations are developed with one single purpose: to serve humanity. A world in which technology, design and engineering drive change in ways that benefit society, people and our planet. Long term effects for human wellbeing and working on societal challenges steer our work. We are looking for a versatile academic at the assistant professor level who can independently develop and advance a research line that will support the future of the field and who is an inspirational teacher in the industrial design engineering program.
In this position you will set out research lines on how embedding and acceptance of transformations in society can be enhanced through the active participation of and co-creation by stakeholders. Aim is to (further) develop and validate approaches for stakeholder engagement and co-design, with specific attention to connecting individual and collective values and goals in societal transformations.
The person fulfilling this assistant professor position will have the opportunity to work with a PhD candidate on a fully funded position.
We invite inspiring, enthusiastic, innovative and entrepreneurial candidates to apply for this position. You are expected to contribute to and take responsibility for research and teaching development in the following ways:
- You work as an independent researcher who can identify academic questions related to stakeholder engagement, co-design approaches, change acceptance and collaborative societal transformation.
- You are able to bridge between academic research results and practice of industrial design engineering, systemic design and/or design for transitions.
- You have a good track record of publishing research results in high quality international refereed journals and conferences.
- You can build relevant and necessary networks to attract external funding (national science foundation, EU, government and industry)
- You have a consistent record in teaching and in development of new courses in the area of industrial design engineering, systemic design or social design.
- You hold a PhD in industrial design (engineering), interaction design, human computer interaction, STS (science, technology and society) studies or another field relevant to the position;
- You are an expert design researcher who can adopt and develop situated research and design methods;
- You are a passionate academic and experienced teacher in higher education or striving to become so;
- You are able to build great relationships with co-workers and practice and operate at the intersection of disciplines;
- You have good mentoring skills to supervise BSc, Msc, PDEng and PhD students;
- You have good communication skills and an excellent command of English and preferably also of Dutch.
- We offer an excellent and stimulating scientific environment on an attractive and green campus with lots of facilities for sports and leisure.
- The university provides a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- A fulltime position for 1 year, with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation;
- A gross salary between € 3.974,- and € 6.181,- per month, depending on experience and qualifications. The salary is in accordance with Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3% and a solid pension scheme;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
You can submit your application (including CV, list of publications, and names of potential references) before August 25th, 2022. As a part of the motivation letter, the applicant should write a vision statement on excellent research and education, including the link the candidate sees with the research line to be developed and the educational programs of the Faculty. First interviews will take place in the week of September 12th.
For additional information regarding this position, please contact Prof.dr.ir. Mascha van der Voort, email@example.com or +31534892541.
Women are explicitly asked to apply for this position. This is part of the University of Twente’s strategy to increase the proportion of women among its faculty and to create a working environment that is diverse and inclusive and supportive of excellence in research and teaching.