Assistant Professor of Management & Organisation (1.0 fte)
Vacancy number 22-489 12423
The Department of Business Studies (Leiden Law School) is expanding and therefore looking for two colleagues for the position of Assistant Professor to strengthen its research and teaching.
We are an interdisciplinary department. We teach and conduct research in several domains, such as entrepreneurship, organisational behaviour, marketing, finance, leadership, strategy, and decision making. In addition, the department contributes to the national program (“Sectorplan”) on Empirical Legal Studies, which focuses on the intersection between law and behavioural sciences.
- Teaching and developing BSc courses. We offer courses in the areas mentioned above.
- Supervising BSc thesis students.
- Developing and expanding your own line of research in the field of management and organisation, preferably in one of the research areas covered by the Department and/or the Empirical Legal Studies program.
- Publishing (part of your) articles in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Developing and collaborating in academic and professional networks and actively participating in international academic conferences.
- You hold a doctorate (PhD) degree, or are about to complete your doctorate, in any of the relevant social science disciplines including organisation studies, psychology, or economics.
- You see research opportunities in relation to Empirical Legal Studies and you have an interest in the implications of your research for the legal (policy) domain.
- You have an interdisciplinary attitude and you are a team player. For example, you are willing to collaborate with legal researchers within the law school or researchers from other faculties.
- You have experience with quantitative and/or qualitative methods and techniques.
- You are interested in outreach activities, for example by linking your research to practice and/or policy.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. You have sufficient command of Dutch for professional purposes, or are willing to achieve such command within the foreseeable future. Our course offering involves both English and Dutch.
- You have, or are willing to obtain, the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ/“BKO”) within two years.
Leiden Law School
The Department of Business Studies is part of the Leiden Law School. The Law School has a full-time teaching staff of approximately 300 and enjoys an undisputed international reputation in a great number of fields. It has faculty and student exchange agreements with more than 50 universities around the world. Through the League of European Research Universities (LERU), a consortium of some of the most renowned research universities in Europe (e.g., Cambridge, Edinburgh, Heidelberg, London, Oxford, Zurich), the school also plays an active role in European research policy debates.
The department is located in a beautifully renovated national monument in the historic heart of Leiden. It was founded to offer high quality business education to all students at Leiden University majoring in a specific discipline and seeking to supplement their studies with a minor in business studies. Each year more than 200 students combine their studies with business-related courses in areas such as strategy, marketing, human resource management, organizational behavior, accounting, finance, and entrepreneurship.
The research carried out in the Department of Business Studies is very diverse, such as in the areas of organizational behavior, psychology, entrepreneurship, marketing, management, and insolvency law. In addition to a bachelor specialisation the department offers an undergraduate minor program in Leiden and The Hague providing general business knowledge and skills relevant for the academic development and future careers of students across the whole university.
More information about the department – and our courses – can be found here.
Terms and conditions
Appointment takes place in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. It concerns an appointment for the duration of 1 year, with the prospect of a permanent appointment. The salary is, depending on education and work experience, a minimum of € 3974.- and a maximum of € 6181.- gross per month for a full-time appointment (scale 11 or 12 depending on education level and experience).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification. If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/ she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Diversity and inclusion
Diversity and inclusion are core values of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High quality teaching and research is inclusive.
Enquiries can be made to dr. Peter van der Zwan, Head of Department of Business Studies (email@example.com/ +31(0)6 42813861).
Please submit online your application via the blue button of our application system. Applicants should submit online the following documents:
- A cover letter (max 1 page) stating how your skills and experience relate to the vacancy;
- Your curriculum vitae (CV);
- You PhD thesis or examples of published articles;
- Copies of your academic transcripts (e.g., B.A./B.Sc., M.A./M.Sc.);
- Names and contact details (including e-mail addresses) of three academic referees who know you and your work well; one referee is your daily supervisor of your thesis.
We welcome applications before 09/01/2022. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview.
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated