We are looking for someone who is capable of merging artificial intelligence with biomechanical modelling to carry out predictive simulations of biological tissue adaptation, human movement or human-robot physical interaction. We’re interested in a person who is passionate about the development of in silico trials for designing (in simulation) optimal interventions for a wide range of applications ranging from rehabilitation to performance training. So, if you have original ideas on how to address healthcare challenges via advanced computational machine learning and modelling techniques, please join our multidisciplinary and inclusive team.
The successful candidate will join the growing Chair of Neuromechanical Engineering, within which we bring forward our passion to understand human movement, neuromuscular impairment as well as how assistive robots can interact with humans to restore physiological motor function.
We are looking for someone who connects and strengthens our research and educational program on AI in biomechanics and robotics, but will bring complementary expertise to our group. The candidate is expected to participate in teaching, supervise students in their graduation assignments, and contribute towards the supervision of PhD candidates.
In this role you will have the opportunity to directly appoint your own PhD candidate, with the possibility to grow across Professorship stages. All your work takes place on the beautiful, green campus in Twente.
- PhD degree and expertise in a field relevant for the position.
- Ability to define and pursue your own research direction, evidenced by the track record in publications, grant acquisition and recommendations.
- Experience in writing research proposals and obtaining external funding.
- Ability to collaborate in research, educational and organizational projects.
- Experience and passion in machine learning for biomechanical problems, programming in object-oriented languages, open-source coding projects.
- Passion for teaching and a University Teaching Qualification for Dutch Universities, a similar qualification, or you are willing to obtain this within 2 years after your appointment.
- Ability to supervise, train, and support early career researchers.
- Excellent communication skills and command of English.
- Interpersonal and organizational skills.
We offer a full-time position for 1 year, with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation:
- Attractive employment conditions including: 30% tax ruling, 8% holiday allowance, 8.3% end-of-year bonus, solid pension scheme, sabbatical leave, professional and personal development programs.
- A gross salary between € 3.974,- and € 6.181,- per month, depending on experience and qualifications;
- Professional and personal development programs.
- Well-equipped labs with professional lab technicians, like the Neuromechanics, Surgical Robotics and Wearable Robotics labs.
- Technical support staff for your research.
- A start-up package that includes funding for the recruitment of 1 PhD to help in kickstarting your research.
- Possibilities to collaborate with nearby companies and clinical institutions.
- Proximity to Enschede, a mid-size city with a large social offer, immersed in the nature of the Twente region.
- A family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid and unpaid) and career support for partners.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Apply by September 30th, 2022. Applications should include:
- A video (2-minute max) describing your scientific interests and why you are applying for this position.
- A cover letter (1-page max) specifying how your experience and skills match the position as well as summarizing your scientific work.
- A CV including English proficiency level, nationality, visa requirements, date of birth, experience overview, and publication list.
- Contact information for at least three academic references. A support letter will be requested by us only if your application is considered.
The first (online) job interviews will take place between 10th / 14th of October, 2022.
The successful candidate will begin around January, 2023. For questions, please contact Prof. Massimo Sartori, mail: email@example.com.