A 100 % position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Engineering and Science as a Researcher in Mechatronics, affiliated to Top Research Centre Mechatronics at the Department of Engineering Sciences, for a period of one year, with a possible contract extension. The position is located, at the present, at Campus Grimstad. The starting date is negotiable with the Faculty.
The position is connected to the subject area – Reliable power electronics for modern mechatronic systems.
Modern mechatronics systems, e.g. winches and cranes, are increasingly complex due to electrification, using more power electronics and electric drives, in which power converters are the most important and vulnerable components in the system. Rapid development of power semiconductors (SiC, GaN) renders challenges in design and control of reliable power converters. To prevent failures, dynamic operation and health condition of power converters are currently controlled and monitored via physical sensors. Understanding stress on power modules would facilitate a reliable design of compact power converters. Novel control algorithms and converter topologies with reduced component stresses would be promising solutions to avoid failures and prolong the lifetime of power converters or modern mechatronics systems.
This position will focus on one of the following directions: (i) novel design and control of reliable power converters with extended lifetime or reduced component stresses, (ii) Ppoposing algorithms to monitor dynamic operation and critical spots in power converters, (iii) fault ride-through capabilities of power converters in the electrified mechatronic systems.
A close cooperation with other researchers working in the research theme on condition monitoring and power electronics, and other colleagues at the department is highly expected.
- PhD in Mechatronics, Electrical Engineering, Renewable Energy, Mechanical Engineering, or similar. Having a PhD thesis in a related topic is a plus. It is desirable that the applicant has defended his/her doctoral thesis within the last five years. PhD students are also welcome to apply if their defense is scheduled for the next few months.
- It is expected that the candidate could speak Norwegian or another Scandinavian language, both written and oral, to have a close collaboration with the local industry.
- English language proficiency, both written and oral.
- A solid academic background in power converters, energy systems, electrical engineering, control or a similar/related field.
- A good track record of scientific publishing. Scientific papers in reputed journals and participation in first-class international conferences related to these topics will be taken into account positively.
- A strong experience and/or background in power electronics, numerical modelling, control, signal processing and machine learning.
- Motivation and strong interest in cutting-edge research
Emphasis will be placed upon the applicant’s previous research and project description and the relevance it has with regard to the subject in question and the research environment at the Faculty.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- The ability to work independently, with a proactive approach.
- The ability to work in a goal-oriented, organized, and focused manner.
Personal qualities and suitability for the position will be emphasised.
- Professional development in a large, exciting and socially influential organisation
- Opportunities to expand expertise through interdisciplinary research.
- Opportunities to mentor undergraduate and masters students if desired.
- A positive, inclusive, and diverse working environment.
- Professional development in a large, exciting, and socially influential organisation.
- Access to resources and expertise of Top Research Centre Mechatronics
- Modern facilities and a comprehensive set of welfare offers.
- Flexible working hours
- Membership of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
The position is remunerated according to the State Salary Scale 90.400, code 1109 Researcher, NOK 553 500 – 593 500 gross salary Higher salary grades may be considered for particularly well-qualified applicants. A compulsory pension contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is deducted from the pay according to current statutory provisions.
A good working environment is characterised by its diversity. We therefore encourage all qualified candidates to apply for the position, irrespective of gender, age, disability or cultural background. The University of Agder is an IW (Inclusive Workplace).
Women are strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
The successful applicant will have rights and obligations in accordance with the current regulations for the position, and organisational changes and changes in the duties and responsibilities of the position must be expected. Appointment is made by the University of Agder’s Appointments Committee for Teaching and Research Positions.
Read more about the employment process here.
In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act § 25 (2), applicants may request that they are not identified in the open list of applicants. The University, however, reserves the right to publish the names of applicants. Applicants will be advised of the University’s intention to exercise this right.
The application and any necessary information about education and experience (including diplomas and certificates) are to be sent electronically. Use the link “Apply for this job“.
The following documentation must be uploaded electronically:
- Diplomas and transcripts with grades.
- CV including a complete list of scientific publications.
- Up to three academic articles or R&D projects that the candidate wishes to particularly emphasise for the assessment process.
- A one-page description of research interests and their relevance for the mentioned project.
- Names and contact information of two references.
Please do not submit large documents, like thesis or publications. If any additional information is required, the applicant will be informed later.
The applicant is fully responsible for submitting complete digital documentation before the closing date. All documentation must be available in a Scandinavian language or English.
Application deadline: 05.10.22
For questions about the position:
- Professor Van Khang Huynh, tel. +47 37 23 34 21, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions about the application process:
- HR Advisor Maren Tofte Røisland, tel. +47 37 23 34 55, mobile +47 902 94 582, e-mail email@example.com
University of Agder
The University of Agder has more than 1500 employees and almost 14 000 students. This makes us one of the largest workplaces in Southern Norway. Our staff research, teach and disseminate knowledge from a variety of academic fields. Co-creation of knowledge is our common vision. We offer a broad range of study programmes in many fields. We are situated at two modern campuses in Kristiansand and Grimstad respectively.
We are an open and inclusive university marked by a culture of cooperation. The aim of the university is to further develop education and research at a high international level.