A tenure-track faculty position is available at the Anton Pannekoek Institute for Astronomy (API) of the University of Amsterdam (UvA). We are looking for a candidate with a strong research program in the area of extrasolar planets, exoplanet host stars, planetary formation and evolution. We especially welcome applications from experts in observational astronomy who could further strengthen, complement or expand API’s research in connection to ESO observing facilities and instrumentation.
What are you going to do
You are expected:
- to be active in the fundamental and/or applied research in the area of exoplanets, exoplanet host stars, planetary formation and evolution, and publish in high-level international journals;
- to present your work at leading conferences;
- to be willing to build up a research group of internationally outstanding level;
- to be active in the attraction of external funding;
- to supervise students, including BSc, Msc, and PhD, as well as postdocs;
- to teach astronomy-related courses at the BSc and MSc levels;
- to actively contribute to departmental duties.
What do we require
- A PhD in astronomy, astrophysics, physics, or planetary science;
- The ability and willingness to teach and conduct research;
- Demonstrable willingness to perform administrative and organizational tasks, and to build up a research group of internationally outstanding level.
The initial appointment will be for a period of six years. Based on performance indicators agreed on at the start of the appointment, a tenure track position will lead to a tenured position in a period of maximally 5 years. In the fifth year of the appointment the tenure decision will be taken.
The starting salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience and qualifications. It will range from a minimum €3,821 to €5,230 gross per month (
scale 11) based on full-time employment. The position comes with a standard API startup package.
This is exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. A favorable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Take a look here.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact:
Dr. Antonija Oklopčić, Assistant Professor, email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
Dr. Jean-Michel Désert, Associate Professor, email: email@example.com.
The Faculty of Science has a student body of around 7,000, as well as 1,600 members of staff working in education, research or support services. Researchers and students at the Faculty of Science are fascinated by every aspect of how the world works, be it elementary particles, the birth of the universe or the functioning of the brain.
The Anton Pannekoek Institute has a long tradition of excellence in astronomical research. Scientists at API have access to a wide variety of telescopes on the ground and in space, including ESO, ESA, SRON (the Dutch Space Research Organization http://www.sron.nl), and ASTRON (http://www.astron.nl) facilities, as well as to national funding lines at the Dutch research organization NWO, and to European funding lines like the ERC grants and the Horizon Europe programs and networks. UvA is part of the Dutch Top Research School NOVA (http://www.nova-astronomy.nl). In addition to that, the scientists at UvA have established an interdisciplinary collaborative research and training program on the origins and fundamental aspects of life, as part of the national Origin Center (http://www.originscenter.nl/).
The Anton Pannekoek Institute for Astronomy (API) furthers research, teaching and public understanding of astronomy. It conducts astronomical research and trains astronomers from bachelor to postdoctoral level, aiming at world-leading levels and activities. The Anton Pannekoek Institute offers a complete undergraduate (BSc) and graduate (MSc, PhD) teaching program that focuses on integrating students in research early in their education. The candidates should be committed to contributing in innovative ways to the excellence of our teaching program.
The Anton Pannekoek Institute is committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity; we particularly encourage applicants from groups that are underrepresented in the physical sciences, and who can enhance the diversity of backgrounds and ideas in our department.
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application by 31 October 2022. You can apply online by using the link below.
Applications in .pdf should include:
- motivation letter;
- CV including a list of publications; please mention the months (not just years) in your CV when referring to your education and work experience;
- research statement (about 3-4 pages);
- teaching statement (about 1-2 pages);
- list of 5 ‘most-proud’ publications or achievements, with a motivation for each one, totalling 2 pages. max. These achievements may be in any relevant area, e.g., teaching, diversity, team building, software development, research, organisation;
- three letters of references. The letters of references should be sent by referees directly to Antonija Oklopčić (firstname.lastname@example.org).
All documents (except the reference letters) should be uploaded and submitted as one single pdf document in the “CV section”.
The deadline to submit applications is 31 October 2022. Applications will continue to be considered until the position is filled.
We anticipate inviting selected candidates for campus visits and interviews in November and December 2022. The interviews will be held on November 22, 24, 28, and December 2. We ask potential candidates to reserve those dates in their calendars.
This is an extension of the search to fill an open tenure-track faculty position which was advertised originally in June 2022.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
If you encounter Error GBB451, reach out to our HR Department directly. They will gladly help you continue your application.
No agencies please