Are you looking for a challenging job in a dynamic setting? The program group Brain and Cognition (Psychology) of the Faculty of Social and Behavioral Sciences is looking for an assistant professor in the field at the intersection of cognitive (neuro)science and cognitive AI. This position is specifically embedded in a faculty broad theme focusing on the human factor in technology, subsection artificial and human intelligence. Within this subsection one of the questions which fits within the program group Brain and Cognition if, how, when, where and why AI and cognitive processes do overlap or differ.
What are you going to do
The vacancy of the Assistant Professor position consists of a package of tasks comprising the following four components: education, research, valorization, and administrative tasks.
More specifically, you will:
- conduct and publish high quality research (45% of the time) aimed at understanding the mechanisms underlying behavior using techniques like deep neural networks (DNNs);
- develop and teach courses and supervise students (max. 55% of the time, depending on management and grant acquisition) in the Bachelor, Master and/or Research Master program of Brain & Cognition, and in particular the Cognitive AI track with a focus on using deep learning;
- actively pursue (inter)national collaboration within and between disciplines;
- attract externally funded research projects;
- contribute to the group by participating in research and teaching committees, like organizing research meetings, being a member of the psychology laboratory committee or instigating teaching intervisions;
- be active in translating your research to a broader audience and the field.
Please note that this position is specifically embedded in a faculty broad theme focusing on the human factor in technology, subsection artificial and human intelligence. It is expected from the candidate to collaborate with other researchers in this domain, both from the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences at the UvA, and from other universities.
What do you have to offer
- experience with using machine learning techniques (for instance using deep neural networks) to understand the computational mechanisms that underly human behavior. This expertise is expected to benefit the faculty broad theme focusing on the human factor in technology, subsection artificial and human intelligence.
- preferably experience with developing task optimized models to make their behavior more similar to that of humans. This expertise is expected to benefit the faculty broad theme focusing on the human factor in technology, subsection artificial and human intelligence.
- obtained a BKO (or international equivalent) or the willingness to complete the BKO training during your appointment.
- if not already fluent in Dutch, the willingness to learn Dutch as it is expected that the candidate will be able to teach in both English and Dutch within 5 years of the start of the contract.
What can we offer you
We offer permanent employment upon a satisfactory evaluation following a temporary employment contract of a maximum of 18 months with a probationary period of two months. If you already have (had) an employment contract with the UvA, we offer permanent employment upon a satisfactory evaluation following a temporary employment contract of a maximum of 12 months.
The employment contract will be for 38 hours per week. Preferred starting date is 1st of February 2023. The gross monthly salary based on full-time employment (38 hours per week) ranges from €3974 up to a maximum of €5439 (salary scale 11). This is exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus. The starting salary will be based on qualifications, expertise and relevant experience. The profile UD2 is applicable in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities.
The UvA offers excellent possibilities for further professional development and education.
The Brain and Cognition department is a diverse department with research spanning topics from the anatomy of the brain to the autonomy of the individual. It is a vibrant group of enthusiastic lecturers and researchers (see Brain and Cognition UvA website) Within psychology we provide coursers for both the bachelor and (research)masters. We have two specialized bachelor tracks: Brain and Cognition and Clinical Neuropsychology and two specialized master tracks: Brain and Cognition in Society and Clinical Neuropsychology. Moreover we are active within the Research Master Psychology, the bachelor Psychobiology (FNWI) and the interdisciplinary Research Master program Brain and Cognitive Sciences.
To work at the University of Amsterdam is to work in a discerning, independent, creative, innovative and international climate characterized by an open atmosphere and a genuine engagement with the city of Amsterdam and society. Here you can read more about working at the University of Amsterdam.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Steven Scholte, associate professor email@example.com
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application/motivation letter and resume in one bundled .pdf before 30 November 2022.
Applications in .pdf should include:
- a curriculum vitae;
- a letter of motivation;
- a research statement.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
If you encounter Error GBB451/ GBC451, please try using a VPN connection when outside of the European Union. You can reach out to our HR Department if the error continues. They will gladly help you with your application.
No agencies please.