The Department of Communication Science invites applications for an Assistant Professor position in Youth & Media Entertainment, preferably starting in the first quarter of 2023. Within the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, Communication Science offers a Bachelor’s and several Master’s degree programmes, while its research is carried out at the Amsterdam School of Communication Research. Teaching in our Communication Science programmes is interdisciplinary and internationally oriented, offering tracks taught in both English and Dutch. As an assistant professor, you will be part of the program group of Youth & Media Entertainment (chaired by prof. dr. Jochen Peter). This program group consists of more than 25 junior and senior scholars, who investigate the uses and effects of media and technologies among different age groups, ranging from early childhood to late adulthood. Teaching and research will cover different methodologies, varying from (longitudinal) surveys, experiments, manual or automated content analyses to experience sampling studies.
Teaching and research of the assistant professor takes a media psychological approach to explain how individual and other differences influence media preferences, media responses, and media effects. Media is conceptualized broadly and includes a strong focus on digital media and emerging communication technology. Coursework in the bachelor track includes courses such as the domain-module “Entertainment Communication” and special topic courses such as “Always Connected: Key Insights in Youth, Media & Technology” while courses in the Master track include courses such as “Developing Media Entertainment”, “Clashing Views on Media Effects”, and “Digital Media Lifestyles”. Research is closely linked to teaching, yet the focus is more closely on the relationship between different age groups and digital media as well as emerging technologies, with particular attention to differential susceptibility in the new media space.
What are you going to do
Our new colleague will:
- teach courses in the bachelor’s and master’s degree programs, with a focus on communication science and methods in general and Entertainment Communication in particular;
- supervise internships, bachelor theses, and master theses;
- conduct research within the group Youth & Media Entertainment of the ASCoR research program;
- be active in grant acquisition and collaborate with stakeholders;
- participate in committees, groups, and projects in the program group Youth & Media Entertainment;
What do we require
The job profile is UD2 (universitair docent), based on the university job ranking system.
You act with attention to quality, integrity and creativity, and:
- have a PhD in communication science or a related discipline;
- have an interest in topics associated with the digital society, digital entertainment, or (emerging) communication technologies (or a related field), and the implications of these topics for young audiences;
- have strong knowledge of communication science as proven by previous academic activities and publications in international peer-reviewed journals; having publications in (top)-communication journals is a plus;
- have a strong empirical-analytical research profile that fits in the Youth & Media Entertainment research program; experience with research on emerging communication technologies and/or computational methods is a plus;
- have the ability to carry out your own research independently and successfully;
- have the qualities and plans to apply for competitive grants; demonstrated grant-writing experience is a plus;
- have demonstrable academic teaching experience, specifically experience in general Communication Science courses as well as courses specific to the domain of Entertainment Communication (taught in the Bachelor and the Master);
- have experience and willingness to teach methods courses. Experience with, and knowledge of (a variety of) quantitative research methods and statistics commonly employed in communication science is a plus;
- have the ability to take care of teaching components independently;
- have a university teaching qualification (BKO) or are willing to obtain one;
- are able to identify opportunities for improvement in research and teaching and take responsibility for allocated units of study or teaching;
- are capable to provide a stimulating teaching and research environment and are a good team worker;
- have proficiency in English and Dutch or a firm commitment to learn Dutch within two years;
- adhere to the principles of Open Science;
- have the willingness to engage in departmental or University committee-based work;
- have the qualities and plans to contribute to relevant social or scientific impact activities.
We offer a temporary full-time or part-time contract for the period of 1,5 year for 38 hours per week.
For internal candidates the contract will be for the period of 1 year.
The preferred starting date is in the first quarter of 2023. Contingent upon positive evaluation and satisfactory performance, you will be offered a permanent contract.
The gross monthly salary based on full-time employment (38 hours per week) ranges from € 3974 up to a maximum of € 5439 (salary scale 11/till scale 12). This is exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus.The starting salary will be based on qualifications, expertise, and relevant experience. The profile assistant professor is applicable in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities.
The UvA offers excellent possibilities for further professional development and education.
What else do we offer
A position in which initiative and input are highly valued.
An enthusiastic and warm department that is open to new colleagues.
A stimulating research environment in one of the leading departments in communication research worldwide.
Teaching in diverse, multicultural, and engaged cohorts of students.
An inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
Access to some research funds to conduct studies and attend international conferences.
To work at the University of Amsterdam is to work in a discerning, independent, creative, innovative, and international climate characterized by an open atmosphere and a genuine engagement with the city of Amsterdam and society. Here you can read more about working at the University of Amsterdam.
An inspiring work environment with a variety of duties and ample scope for individual initiative and development within an inspiring organisation. The social and behavioural sciences play a leading role in addressing the major societal challenges faced by the world, the Netherlands and Amsterdam, now and in the future.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Prof. dr. Jochen Peter, program group leader Youth and Media Entertainment firstname.lastname@example.org
Would you like to learn more about working at the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)? Visit our website.
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application by November 27, 2022. You may apply online by using the link below.
Applications in .pdf should include:
- a curriculum vitae;
- a letter of motivation that addresses the requirements above, including a list of university courses taught with evaluation information (if possible) as well as future plans and idea.
We will invite potential candidates for interviews as soon as possible after the closing date. Interviews take place in December 2022. Preferred starting date of the position is in the first quarter of 2023.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
If you encounter Error GBB451/ GBC451, please try using a VPN connection when outside of the European Union. You can reach out to our HR Department if the error continues. They will gladly help you with your application.
No agencies please.