Are you going to build a new generation of membranes for the treatment of challenging industrial wastewater? Are you result-oriented and like challenges?
We are looking for a PhD student to reinforce our team
- HOURS38 – 40 hr.
- SALARY INDICATION€ 2,541 – € 3,247
- DEADLINE31 Dec 2022
Many industrial processes produce large amounts of aqueous waste streams, contaminated with, e.g. solvents or other organic components. Treatment of these streams requires substantial amounts of energy and chemicals. Implementation of nanofiltration membranes can lead to significant energy savings. To develop suitable ceramic nanofiltration membranes, a new international project has started in Q2, 2022.
In this project novel, ceramic organic solvent nanofiltration membranes with small pore sizes and high throughputs, as compared to polymeric membranes, will be developed by a novel combination of sol-gel coating and atomic layer deposition (ALD). This invention is equivalent to the Gardena Combi system where a unique connection piece made it possible to connect multiple parts to a base unit. A unique base unit will be developed via sol-gel coating, and the desired final small membrane pore sizes are generated with ALD.
In the project, the Inorganic Membranes (IM) group and the Integrated Devices and Systems group (IDS) of the University of Twente work close together. A PhD student will work in both groups and also work together with a Postdoc in the Institute Européen des Membranes (IEM, Montpellier, France). IEM is a leading research center in the field of membrane science and related materials and processes.
- For this position, we are searching for a person who wants to play a key role in a result-oriented project.
- You are a highly motivated and enthusiastic researcher (F/M), having a MSc degree in chemical engineering or a closely related subject area.
- We encourage strong communication skills and interest in sharing knowledge, presenting at conferences and (project) meetings, and publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Creativity, with a hands-on mentality, is valued highly. Proficiency in English is required, both spoken and written.
- We offer a fulltime PhD position for four years.
- The salary will range from € 2.541 (1st year) to € 3.247 (4th year) per month, plus a holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8,3%.
- The number of holiday hours for full-time employment is 232 hours per calendar year.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating, state-of-the-art research environment with world-class research facilities.
- We offer an excellent and stimulating scientific environment with an attractive campus and lots of facilities for sports and leisure. The university provides a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- The research will result in a Ph.D. thesis at the end of the employment period.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Potential applicants are encouraged to apply to Dr. Mieke Luiten-Olieman (email@example.com).
Applications should include the following documents:
- A motivation letter describing why you apply for this position, with a description of your research interests (no more than 1 A4).
- Description of your research interests.
- A detailed CV.
- Email addresses of at least two references who are willing to send a letter of recommendation on your behalf.