The prospective PhD candidate will operate as part of a recently awarded EIC Pathfinder Challenge Consortium. The PhD candidate position is available immediately. In this project, a novel volumetric 3D bioprinting strategy based on photopolymerization of biomaterials will be developed for the creation of functional heart tissue. This approach represents a beyond-state-of-the-art solution to engineer living functional tissues with complex architectures, which will be used as in vitro models for fundamental research as well as drug screening.
The aim of the presently available PhD-position is to bioprint photo-sensitive and cell-laden biomaterials into complex cardiac tissues containing functional vascular structures. You will therefore work on the multidisciplinary interface of additive manufacturing, materials science, microengineering, and cell/cardiovascular biology. This will develop a wide skill set which will include tissue engineering, 3D bioprinting, bioink development, advanced photopolymerization, materials characterization, induced pluripotent cell culture and differentiation, and writing high impact scientific publications.
- You hold a master’s degree in Biomedical Engineering, Materials Science, Biomedical Sciences, or an equivalent master’s education;
- You have excellent analytical skills and an innate ability for solution oriented problem solving;
- You have strong interests in additive manufacturing, photopolymerization, cell-biomaterial interaction, cardiovascular biology, and/or tissue engineering;
- You have experience in 3D printing, photopolymerization, material synthesis/characterization, and/or material visualization techniques. Experience in hydrogels, iPSC culture, and advanced optical imaging techniques will be considered as a benefit;
- You possess excellent social and communication skills, in academic as well as non-academic contexts.
- You love working in a team in which fundamental and applied research cross-fertilize.
- You have a creative and critical attitude, combined with perseverance and being flexible and stress-resistant.
- You are fluent in English language skills, both in speaking and writing.
- Fully paid fulltime position for four years
- The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in a stimulating scientific environment.
- The PhD salary is € 2.541,- in the first year and increases to € 3.247,- in the fourth year.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- A solid pension scheme.
- A professional and personal development program within Graduate School Twente.
- The number of holiday hours for full-time employment is 232 hours per calendar year.
- A personal development program within the Twente Graduate School.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Your reaction should include an application/motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest and motivation, a detailed CV, and an academic transcript of B.Sc. and M.Sc. education. An interview and a scientific presentation will be part of the selection procedure. Please apply via the provided button below.
For more information about the position, you are encouraged to contact Prof. Dr. Jeroen Leijten (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please apply via the button below.