KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Physics with specialization in optics and photonics.
The research project is under the umbrella of the EU Marie Sklodowska-Curie Doctoral Networks program related to Higher-order mode technologies in optical communications, sensing, and other classical and quantum applications. The specific work will involve designing, fabricating, and characterizing specialized linear and nonlinear optical fiber components, enabling novel applications through spatial mode manipulation. The project will offer advanced training schools and research exchange stays at the partner labs.
Supervision: Assoc. Prof. Michael Fokine and Prof. Valdas Pasiskevicius will be co-supervisors to the doctoral student. Final decisions are made on admission
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
- The project will be carried out in a KTH Laser Lab research infrastructure facility with state-of-the-art equipment for custom optical fiber fabrication and testing. The project offers advanced training schools throughout the EU and research exchange stays at the project partner labs.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master’s degree), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
- not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Sweden for more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately before the recruitment date — unless as part of a compulsory national service or a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention.
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
- skills for written and oral communication of technical information,
- adequate programming skills enabling quick uptake of modeling assignments,
- adequate knowledge (above level of BSc) of optics, photonics, laser physics, and related fields,
- practical lab skills working with optical components and lasers are a plus.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ‘ time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
In order to be approved for MSCA financing the applicant, at the time for the application, should not have resided in Sweden more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date. Moreover, the applicant must be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH’s website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section’s website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH’s recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.Copies of originals must be certified.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement|
|Salary||Monthly salary according to KTH’s doctoral student salary agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Contact||Prof. Valdas Pasiskevicius, email@example.comAssoc. Prof. Michael Fokine, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Last application date||30.Dec.2022 11:59 PM CET|