Are you interested in working with real data from military systems from e.g. the Royal Netherlands Navy, and in collaborating with their industrial partners and several universities and research institutes to develop methods and algorithms to deliver Smart Maintenance? The joint research program of the Netherlands Defence Academy (NLDA) and the Dynamics based Maintenance group, Faculty of Engineering Technology at the University of Twente, The Netherlands has several openings for postdoc candidates within the research area of Data analysis and Reliability Modeling for Smart Maintenance.
To increase the availability and reliability of critical systems, while at the same time reducing maintenance costs, data from sensors and inspections is used more and more to better detect or even predict failures. The aim of the current research program is to develop novel methods and tools to improve the (automatic) detection, diagnosis and prediction of failures, and to model the system reliability. Developed methods are applied in the military field (ships, vehicles, helicopters), as well as in industries in the maritime (ship, wind turbines), railway (track), infrastructure (bridges) and manufacturing sectors. Collaboration in both national and European projects with the ministry of Defence, its industrial partners and several universities and research institutes allows the researchers to work with real data from both civil and military advanced systems. Finally, methods will be extended to the fleet level in developing an overall Predictive Maintenance or Condition based Maintenance system.
The successful applicant has a PhD degree and background in mechanical / aerospace / maritime engineering, industrial engineering or applied mathematics, data science, or similar areas. As the projects are multidisciplinary, candidates are expected to be open for / have affinity with other domains than their own background. Good spoken and written English and the ability to work in a team and coach PhD students are mandatory. As the work is defence-related, a security screening will be part of the selection process, and candidates must originate from a EU or NATO country.
The work in these projects will take place either at the Knowledge Centre Smart Maintenance of the Netherlands Defence Academy (NLDA), located in Den Helder, or at the Dynamics based Maintenance group at the University of Twente. The NLDA offers an innovative and inspiring working environment, with direct access to a range of highly technological systems. The UT provides a dynamic and international environment, excellent working conditions, an exciting scientific environment, and a green and lively campus. We offer:
- A full time Postdoc position for two years.
- Interesting temporary research position in a dynamic and international environment, combining the benefits of academic research with a topic of high industrial relevance.
- Gross salary between € 3.557,- and € 4.670,- per month depending on experience and qualifications;
- Excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% of the gross annual salary
- a solid pension scheme
- You can make use of excellent facilities for professional and personal development and a training program.
- You will receive good secondary conditions, in accordance with the collective labor agreement CAO-NU for Dutch universities.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
You can apply for this position before May 10, 2023 by clicking the ‘apply now’ button below. Please include:
- CV (including contact information for at least two academic references)
- Motivation letter indicating your fit with this position and associated ambition.
For more information on this position, please contact Prof. Tiedo Tinga, email@example.com.
The first job interviews are planned on Friday 26 May, 2023.