RESEARCH PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Minimally invasive surgery has revolutionized medicine by enabling interventions without large incisions, thereby significantly improving clinical outcomes. Such surgical techniques include insertions of needles, flexible snake-like continuum robots, and micro- and nano-robots. For effective medical diagnosis and treatment, the device must reach its intended target. In order to increase the targeting accuracy of the procedure and improve clinical outcomes, the goal of this research project is to develop new methods to design, manufacture, and control novel and micro/nano-robotic systems that mimic motion of organisms. Techniques would be developed to track and control the path of the novel devices using images (MR and ultrasound imaging modalities). You will build on the existing expertise in the lab in the micro-robotics and image-guided control of flexible surgical devices.
The present project will be conducted within the Surgical Robotics Laboratory and the Department of Biomechanical Engineering. In addition there are excellent opportunities for close collaboration with the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnolgy, and several institutions abroad.
- You have a PhD degree in mechanical, biomedical, or electrical engineering, or applied physics or in a closely related discipline;
- You should possess excellent skills and practical experience in one or more of the following research areas: robotics, mechatronics, and nano-/micro-fabrication technologies. Experience at the intersection of one or more of these areas is desirable;
- You are proficient in English, both speaking and writing.
- A full-time contract for 12 months (with possibility of extension)
- A gross salary between € 3877 and € 5090 per month, depending on experience and qualifications;
- An annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and an annual end of year bonus of 8.3%;
- An attractive pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment.
- Professional and personal development programs;
- The University of Twente is situated on a green and lively campus with lots of facilities for sports and other extracurricular activities.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Please upload your application through the apply button before 1 October 2023.
Your application includes the following documents as a single pdf file with:
- CV (including contact information for at least two academic references)
- Title and abstract of your PhD dissertation, and two of your most relevant papers.
You are welcome to contact Prof. Sarthak Misra for any questions you might have.
Prof. Sarthak Misra
Lab website: Surgial Robotics Lab