Requisition ID: 26033
Contract Type: Open Ended
Working Pattern: Full Time
Posted Date: 17 Aug 2023
Lecturer Grade F: £39,347 to £44,263 per annum
Lecturer Grade G: £45,585 to £48,350 per annum
Newcastle University is a great place to work, with excellent benefits. We have a generous holiday package; plus the opportunity to buy more, great pension schemes and a number of health and wellbeing initiatives to support you.
Closing Date: 14 September 2023
We seek to appoint an outstanding Lecturer in Information Systems Management. You will be able to demonstrate research excellence – as evidenced by high quality publications – and be able to inspire students with innovative and engaging teaching. You will have a strong research and scholarly trajectory in the area of information systems management with an emphasis on digital transformation, digital business, ecommerce, technology acceptance/adoption or data analytics and relevant applications (e.g. on social media, health informatics, sharing economy, IoT, AI etc), with potential to generate research income, pursue impactful activities with businesses, organisations and governments, and to develop an international reputation in your field(s) of expertise.
You will be committed to the success and future development of Newcastle University Business School, one of the UK’s top business schools (triple-crown accredited and TEF Gold) with a global reputation (126-150th in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings) and committed to impact (the University is 15th in the world in the 2021 Times Higher Education Impact Rankings), collegiality, academic citizenship, and EDI.
You will work alongside a team of leading academics in the dynamic, vibrant and multidisciplinary Information Systems & Operations subject group that provides a unique opportunity for close collaborative research and teaching activities across information systems and operations.
You must have a PhD in a relevant subject (or a PhD near completion – i.e. strictly within three months of submission).
Informal enquiries about this position can be made to Savvas Papagiannidis at firstname.lastname@example.org
Newcastle University Business School is located in Newcastle City Centre and at the gateway to the Newcastle Helix, a £350million partnership between Newcastle University, Newcastle City Council and Legal and General, where Business meets Science.
Newcastle University is a Russell Group institution ranked as 110th in the World (QS World University Rankings 2014) and the Newcastle University Business School is home to 4000 students and is one of an elite group of Business Schools worldwide to hold triple accreditation from the three internationally recognised accreditation bodies: AMBA, AACSB, and EQUIS. This places the School in the top business schools worldwide and is testament to our reputation for our world leading Research and Teaching.
For more information about Newcastle University Business School, please visit our website https://www.ncl.ac.uk/business-school/
To conduct excellent research and publish in internationally recognised journals and publishing houses and contribute to the development and delivery of programmes in the Information Systems and Operations Subject Group and deliver an outstanding teaching experience to our students.
The University has developed an Academic Job Summary Guidance document which summarises the range of activities that academic staff may be expected to perform.
- Contribute to the research profile of the Business School by publishing in high quality outlets, demonstrating impact
- Conduct research that demonstrates international standards of excellence in terms of originality, significance and rigour in the Digital Business subject area and ensure all our students benefit from studying in a research intensive, research excellent academic environment
- Pursue external funding
- Demonstrate impact by developing research-based solutions to real-world problems and engage with external stakeholders to develop the impact of your work
- Supervise PGR students in a research-led university
- Contribute to the Business School’s Triple Accreditation and Professional Body Accreditations
- Have a commitment to high quality teaching and learning and student support
- Coach and support students throughout their studies in the role of personal tutor
- Set and mark assessment of modules in accordance with University standards and utilise on-line and digitised curricula and education frameworks
- Contribute to curriculum development
- Provide education for life, that engages, challenges and supports our students to discover and fulfil their potential both while they are studying with us and once they have graduated
- Operate as an active academic citizen and colleague in the Business School community
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Evidence of research published in international and world-leading outlets
- Evidence of/potential to develop and secure grant capture and/or impact
- A track record of engaging with external stakeholders, generating real-world impact from research
- Evidence of the potential to contribute to the relevant Research Community
- Evidence of the ability to provide an outstanding educational experience, rooted in strong disciplinary (Digital Business) knowledge that engages, challenges, and inspires our students
- Make effective use of technology to enhance learning
- Evidence of effective use of disciplinary and proactive research and a developing international research profile
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational, time management and presentation skills
- Demonstration of successful team working and operating as an effective colleague
- Experience or potential for undertaking a management and leadership role
- Evidence of academic citizenship in our School
- Commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and ethics, responsibility and sustainability
- A good Honours degree in a relevant subject
- PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant subject at or near completion – i.e. strictly within three months of submission.
- A profile with currency which meets external accreditation bodies criteria
- Professional Body Membership as appropriate to the Subject area (Desirable)
Newcastle University is a global University where everyone is treated with dignity and respect. As a University of Sanctuary, we aim to provide a welcoming place of safety for all, offering opportunities to people fleeing violence and persecution.
We are committed to being a fully inclusive university which actively recruits, supports and retains colleagues from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all of our employees and the communities they represent. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from individuals who can complement our existing teams, we believe that success is built on having teams whose backgrounds and experiences reflect the diversity of our university and student population.
At Newcastle University we hold a silver Athena Swan award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. We also hold a Race Equality Charter Bronze award in recognition of our work towards tackling race inequality in higher education REC.
In addition, we are a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
Requisition ID: 26033