DESY is one of the world’s leading research centres for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics. More than 2400 employees work at our two locations Hamburg and Zeuthen in science, technology and administration.
The Photo lnjector Test facility PITZ in Zeuthen (near Berlin) develops high brightness electron sources for Free-Electron Lasers (FELs) like FLASH and European XFEL. Generation of electron bunches with extremely low emittance and very high phase space density is one of the important goals of the R&D program at PITZ. Precise and reliable measurements of the high brightness electron beam transverse emittance are of great importance for the detailed understanding of the space charge dominated beam dynamics in photo injectors.
The offered postdoc position will focus on further developments of tools for detailed characterization of the electron beam phase space. The succesful candidate will further develop and refine advanced experimental methods for precise characterization of electron beam properties. Tasks:
- Work in one of the world-leading international groups of physicists and engineers for photo injector developments
- Perform accurate modeling and numerical simulations of electron beam measurements using scintillating screens
- Analyze experimental data and compare with simulation results
- Develop, test and support software packages for automatization and optimization of electron beam measurements, including detailed documentation
- Participation in shift operation for accelerator R&D at PITZ and/or XFEL
- PhD in accelerator physics or related, strong background in beam dynamics, especially in photo injector physics is of advantage
- Knowledge and skills in experimental characterization of particle beams using image processing
- Familiar with numerical simulations (e.g. ASTRA, GEANT, etc.) and high level scripting languages (Python, Matlab), good programming skills
- Good command of English, knowledge of German is a benefit
- Excellent teamwork abilities in an international environment
For further information please contact Dr. Mikhail Krasilnikov, +49-33762 77-213, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position is initially limited to 2 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time-work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
We are looking forward to your application via our application system: Online Application